Integrated Laptop Webcam does not work with Skype,...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Integrated Laptop Webcam does not work with Skype, while USB Webcam does

Hi Everyone,

ever since the update from Skype to version 6.5.0.158 happened, my integrated webcam of my DELL XPS 15 does not work anymore. I updated the webcam drivers, and the webcam works just fine in "capture" mode. Also, using a usb-connected webcame works well with Skype.
Any suggestions?

I am running a DELL XPS 15 with Win 7 x64, latest Skype version and latest version of the DELL Webcam central.

Thanks, Skrodde

Skrodde
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (13,919 Views)

Re: Integrated Laptop Webcam does not work with Skype, while USB Webcam does

There seems to be a general issue with the latest Skype version and Dell XPS laptops.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Unable-to-make-video-call-after-the-update/m-p/...

The more recent Skype 6.3.0.107 version may work too.

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.3.0.107.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6266
Message 2 of 9 (13,900 Views)

Thanks a lot, Skype version 6.3.0.107 works just fine with my integrated webcam. I switched off the auto-update to be safe for a while :happy:
Skrodde
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (13,881 Views)

Thanks. I too downgraded my skype version :happy:, i thought skype community will have some other solutions like fix
KD11
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 9 (13,210 Views)

Ditto...newest skype completely fails with dell xps laptop webcam....old version works.

lbibeachbum297
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 9 (12,851 Views)

I get the same issue on my Dell XPS Laptop, it sucks, Skype please fix these issues, you're such a big company, also my display picture is always blurry no matter what quality photo I upload...

Xhulio
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (11,249 Views)

Xhulio wrote:

I get the same issue on my Dell XPS Laptop, it sucks, Skype please fix these issues, you're such a big company, also my display picture is always blurry no matter what quality photo I upload...

The latest Skype 6.7.0.102 version should fix this issue.

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.7.0.102.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 9 (11,232 Views)

I did not have the very latest version of skype, unfortunately I did bother note all the version number, I think it was 6.6.something. My Dell XPS L502X also would not operate the integrated webcam on Skype. I did as recommended and downgraded to 6.3.0.107 and bingo we had video vision. Is it safe to upgrade to 6.7.etc,etc or should I quit whilst I am ahead? Thank you for the posts, I was tearing my hair out, unistalling drivers, software and reinstalling, following Dell support istructions and getting nowhere, slowly! I must have spent hours messing about and the solution was so simple, go back a step or two.

Thank you again to all the advisors of the relevent posts, you have made my day. I have an older XPS1330 laptop and the Skype version is 6.7.60.102 which may be the latest update and that computer works fine with webcam and Skype, but then the hardware is three or four years older even though the operating software has been updated regularly during that time.

jollyfun1
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (11,033 Views)

There is never a 100% guaranty that it will work, but as far as I know, the 6.7.X.102 version was released with the special aim to resolve the issue with Dell XPS laptops.

However, there are also some “side effects” in this update. The call control toolbar never disappears from the video call screen. Most likely this is caused by that this version is set into permanent “Accessibility mode”

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 9 (11,025 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling