Installing Skype failed; error 2738

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Installing Skype failed; error 2738

I keep keeping the error 2738 when trying to install skype (for the first time).  I've tried the options suggested including full un-install and re-install but same error each time.  I tried downloading the full installer but same problem.  Any suggestions?

elamog11
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (11,220 Views)

Re: Installing Skype failed; error 2738

Please try this workaround:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufactures?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 2 of 6 (11,210 Views)

The error code 2738 indicates that Windows Installer is not able to use VBScript.dll and
therefore it’s very likely that installation of any Skype version will fail.

Here is a very good description of what can be done in order to resolve this problem

3cx.com/blog/docs/installer-error-2738/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5971
Message 3 of 6 (11,207 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well in the prior post it was said:

" keep keeping the error 2738 when trying to install skype (for the first time)."

So besides re-registering the .dll, I would like to try this, and one more thing, if this failed prior to doing a reregistering of the Script .dll's

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 4 of 6 (11,204 Views)

despina12342
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (9,857 Views)

if me removed installation currently .what can I do next

sherlock_bin
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (985 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling