Incoming messages do not show in chat box.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Incoming messages do not show in chat box.

So, until a couple of hours ago, everything was working fine. Soon I noticed that my Skype incoming messages weren't showing up on the chat box. Outgoing messages do show - and they are received by the other person. Whenever I do get a message, the notification sounds and yellow flashing skype icon do indicate the arrival of a new message as it normally would; I just can't see it. Exiting (logging out doesn't cut it) Skype, and logging back in temporarily fixes the problem. I've also noticed that if Skype is minimized or another window is infront of it, the problem returns. The Skype forums suggest other people have/have had this issue, but I can't find a fix! Any help is most appreciated. Thanks, and happy new year!

Also: Reinstalling didn't work. It's updated to the lastest version as well.

michaelttpp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (6,698 Views)

Re: Incoming messages do not show in chat box.

Try to reset Skype Settings
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-auto-logs-off/m-p/938210/highlight/true#M69026

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6475
Message 2 of 8 (6,668 Views)

Same for me, for the whole day groups weren't working at all, messages got sync delay from minutes to hours and not being received at all. Group calls were also bugged. This applied to android client too.
Deleting skype data from /appdata/Roaming solved the issue temporaly, then I got to do it again
Also there's a set of sync issues with really big groups (>50 members) which were present for some time, but today it got much worse.

The strange thing is, however, some other groups and messaging with separate people worked flawlessly and with no lag from both Android and Windows clients.
This issue is still present for me.

ltbucks
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (6,661 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, after I did what you suggested, everything seems to be working perfectly; I'll let you know what happens in an hour or so. Thanks for the all the help.

Itbucks, I'd try that too if I was you. It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem, haha.

michaelttpp
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (6,654 Views)

It lasted for a good 10 minutes, and now I'm back to square one. Also, a system restore and a new Windows user account didn't work.

michaelttpp
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (6,648 Views)

Which version of Internet Explorer installed on your PC?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Find-out-which-version-of-Internet-Explorer-youre-u...

Sync Your Clock With Internet Time Server.

synctime.PNG

you can also try to install older Skype 5.10.0.116

oldversion.com/windows/skype-5-10-0-116

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6475
Message 6 of 8 (6,637 Views)

ltbucks wrote:

Same for me, for the whole day groups weren't working at all, messages got sync delay from minutes to hours and not being received at all. Group calls were also bugged. This applied to android client too.
Deleting skype data from /appdata/Roaming solved the issue temporaly, then I got to do it again
Also there's a set of sync issues with really big groups (>50 members) which were present for some time, but today it got much worse.

The strange thing is, however, some other groups and messaging with separate people worked flawlessly and with no lag from both Android and Windows clients.
This issue is still present for me.

This is a well known bug on Skype network.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Skype-Messages-Out-Of-Order/m-p/1312466#M100083

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6969
Message 7 of 8 (6,624 Views)

I don't believe this to be related to the timestamp bug mentioned in the thread you linked, ruwim. This isn't a problem with messages appearing out of order, but with otherwise-correctly-received messages simply not being appended in the chat window. (Notifications and pop-ups are correctly displayed.)

Further, I run Linux, and I am also frustrated by the problem specified by michaelttpp. This wasn't an issue until I updated to the 4.X clients, which, irritatingly, fixed some freezing issues I was having with prior versions.
Rhagz
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (6,475 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling