In message history, how to show date and time, ins...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

In message history, how to show date and time, instead of just time

On skype on my windows computer, next to each instant message it shows the time the message was sent, with the date shown once before the first message of that day. On my mac, it shows the date and time next to each message.  How can I set my windows skype to show both the date and time like it does on my Mac? If this is not possible, is there an easy way to jump to a specific date?

Scrolling through my message history looking for the date is no good, because often I have hundreds of messages in one day.  Doing a text search kind of works, but is not ideal.

phil80
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (7,435 Views)

Re: In message history, how to show date and time, instead of just time

[ Edited ]

Using the main Skype client program window do:

Tools -> Options -> IM & SMS -> IM Appearance

Make sure that the "Show Timestamp next to instant messages" checkbox is checked, and click the "Save" button.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 2 of 11 (7,426 Views)

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply, but it does not help. Under Tools -> Options -> IM & SMS -> IM Appearance, I already have  "Show Timestamp next to instant messages" checked.  It shows the time (eg 9:33 AM) next to each instant message.

What I want is to show the date AND time next to each message (eg 21/07/11 9:47 AM). I realise that the date is shown before the 1st message of each day. But what I want is to have the date next to each message, so that I can quickly see what date I am looking at when I scroll through my message history. On skype for mac, this is how it is, so I wonder how to turn that on skype for windows. 

Thanks

phil80
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (7,416 Views)

Currently this is not possible using the current Windows Skype clients.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 4 of 11 (7,414 Views)

well that sucks. Thanks for your help

phil80
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (7,411 Views)

here is a tip that you might find useful:

when you scroll up to the top of the IM window you will see options to display historical IM (yesterday, 7 days, 30 days, etc.)

with the vertical scroll button positioned as far up as it will go, click the arrow button that points up (just above the scroll button), and you will see that an additional day's worth of IM history is displayed with each mouse click (this can be especially handy when trying to home in on IM that happened sometime between yesterday and 7 days ago, for example)

Scroll back a day at a time.png

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 312
Message 6 of 11 (7,403 Views)

Please help with a reverse problem:  my new Mac version doen't desplay date and time.  Searched the Menu bar - nothing worked.

ajaravine
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (6,494 Views)

please help with the reverse problem: my new mac version of Skype does not show date and time at all> Searched the Menu bar - didn't work
ajaravine
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 11 (6,493 Views)

[ Edited ]

ajaravine wrote:
please help with the reverse problem: my new mac version of Skype does not show date and time at all> Searched the Menu bar - didn't work

please post your issue in the forum for the Mac

this one is for Windows

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 312
Message 9 of 11 (6,490 Views)

The date and time on my Skype are wrong. It says that today is April 19th, but it is April 21st? How do I do to correct this failure?

Toklingen
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (5,423 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling