Re: IMO no longer supports Skype? May 2013

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

IMO no longer supports Skype? May 2013

[ Edited ]

Hi folks.

I am a heavy user of Skype's Instant Message feature, unfortunately due to restrictions on our computers at work I cannot download or install the Skype client, as such I have been forced to use external programs to get access to the IM feature.

The best of the bunch is/was IMO, however today it appears they no longer support Skype and the following message appears on there site

"We are unable to support Skype due to our inability to connect to their servers. We don't know if we will be able to support Skype any time soon as it depends on factors out of our control."

I am not sure if this is due to something they have done, or if Skype has blocked access, but I really would like to regain access to Skype IM.

Can Skype either consider building a Browser based interface, even if just for the IM support, or allow IMO access to the server again please.

Ta

BrokenTusk

brokentusk
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 15 (23,885 Views)

yeah plz ... really inconvenient ....
lillith-
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 15 (23,854 Views)

Hi.

I use IMO on my android, for several months, but now it simple can't connect to skype.

I made a quick serach and I found IM+... witch is able to connect to skype... only if you PAY!!!

Is this a way for IMO to start to charge the service??? I hope not.

vfmg
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 15 (23,837 Views)

So, have you already paid IM+ and actually connected to Skype? Or did you stop at the point where you found out that it costs money? It could be that IM+ has been doing that all along, and - just the same as imo - can no longer connect to Skype either.

Nah, imo straight-up said they're unable to connect to Skype servers due to factors beyond their control. Sure, they /could/ be lying, but in this day and age where any little falsehood can get a company sued, I'm inclined to believe them. Skype seems pretty silent about it though :^)

I found an all-inclusive client that will still connect to Skype - and yes, free. I'm a little nervous to mention it's name for fear that it'll suddenly no-longer-be-able-to-connect-to-Skype, but... It's called Trillian. It /says/ it's ad-supported, but I haven't seen any yet.

So y'all can try that out, and if it suddenly doesn't connect to Skype too, then we'll know on whose end of the connection this fault actually is.
whyme777x
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 15 (23,642 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the adivce, unfortanetly this program suffers from the same issue as Skype, in that it requires a donwload client to work, and my work does not pernit downloads of any description. I really need something that is hosted purely in a broswer only, like IMO was.

I cannot see the sense in Skype cutting off access to external providers as many people are in my situation and cannot download Clients, or have access to the latest version of Outlook to install the Skype plug in but still need/want to use Skype.

Finally it seems on moblie, (Android Jelly Bean) espeically on UK 3G networks Skype is still very hit and miss as to whether or not it connects, and often the throws up the widely reported "check network settings" message. Which is clearly isn't as it connect 50% of the time.

brokentusk
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 15 (23,117 Views)

[ Edited ]

I really hate skype, its just horrible. However all my business contacts are there, so I am forced to use it. Imo was the only way to use it for me, and MS has banned it.

I used to love skype before microsoft bought it. Now it turned into a pile of crap.

What should I do? The native client is broken on linux.

fukyums
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 15 (22,876 Views)

Just use Google Talk--soon to be revamped--for the best in-browser experience. You have to set up a Google account, but you can just use that service and nothing else. Of course, the people you chat with have to have it also.
cac1031
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 15 (22,550 Views)

I bought IM+pro for android last week when it was on sale (don't know if it still is or not). It works, but not always. Have missed a conversation or two that started on the desktop, and never came to my phone when others replied after I had left my desk. To me, it's not quite as good as IMO was. But it does work (most of the time). They also have a browser based portal at plus.im but I have not used it, just passing along as information.
maestroteague
Routine Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (22,257 Views)

i surch for an ather webside like imo.im.. can you help me?
schokocookie
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 15 (21,591 Views)

Latest official statement about imo problem and suggested way to get updates:

"Upon checking, we apologize for the inconvenience but as of now the issue regarding the imo.im account is till under investigation. Please visit this link for Skype updates: http://community.skype.com/t5/English/ct-p/English?profile.language=en"

So now the next step for me would be to make a new thread here http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Official-request-for-updates-on-issue-regarding... requesting updates as it was told by support.

Please support the post with comments that you are also affected and request for updates.

DmytroPuzhay
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 15 (21,573 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling