Re: I can't open the Skype due to the abundancy of...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

I can't open the Skype due to the abundancy of messages and notifications etc.

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I have been using Skype for years and I've been adding new people and sometimes even chat groups.

As the time passed I added more and more and now I'm really stuck. There used to be sometimes when I had to wait some minutes for Skype to open and now it doesn't even open anymore.

The reason is probably that I got tons of notifications, Skype uses all my cpu and won't open after I sign in. It is just a white plain window, sometimes I can see my nickname but that's it, Skype won't fully load.

I tried to reset the Skype and even reinstalling it. It won't work. It won't load even though there is nothing running in the background etc.

What should I do now?

Kamarat
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (379 Views)

Re: I can't open the Skype due to the abundancy of messages and notifications etc.

Try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7082
Message 2 of 7 (369 Views)

Re: I can't open the Skype due to the abundancy of messages and notifications etc.

It worked! I got some questions though, should I always use this version? Why was the newest version such a pain for me? Can I update it now that I opened it, at last.

Kamarat
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (340 Views)

Much depends on your Internet connection and system configuration.

What is your connection speed?

http://speedtest.net

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

You can also run the DirectX diagnostics tool.

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostics program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. Please, attach this file to your post.

Be aware that you will have to zip this file before attaching it here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 7 (328 Views)

Here is my speedtest result:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3055005685

It's speed changes from time to time though.

My internet explorer version is 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp.080413-2111
Well, I don't use IE so I never updated it. So Skype doesn't use my default browser but only IE?

And I attached the dxdiag file.

Kamarat
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (307 Views)

You should absolutely update your Internet Explorer to the latest IE8 version for Windows XP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Regardless which browser you are using, Skype makes use of Internet Explorer installed on your computer.

Your upload speed is low, but should be sufficient for audio and low resolution video calls.

The most critical is, however, the fact that your CPU is a single core unit. The latest Skype versions may not run or run very slowly on single core CPUs.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 7 (280 Views)

Yeah, I definitely agree about the last part. Having a single core in 2013 is seriously painful. I will update my IE then, I hope newer versions will work. Thank you kindly for your help!

Kamarat
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 7 (255 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling