I CANNOT remove Skype from my computer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

I CANNOT remove Skype from my computer

For some reason I cannot update, nor fully uninstall Skype. I have tried nearly everything, from going into the program folders to searching for this fabled "Skype.msi" file or application that is somehow NOT on my system. Someone better tell me how to remove this program because I can already see lots of "lawsuits" coming from this. Because 1st off:

-Unable to remove a program AFTER the user has done everything possible TO remove the program is illegal by ANY COMPANY standards. If you DO NOT have a solution, then don't put a broken program up for download for someone's PC to be fragmented by the ill coding within the program. Unless by FACT this "Skype 5.3" really is something OTHER THAN what it's use is. 

-This "Skype 5.3" can now be also labeled as malware, virus, or anything negative that can harm a PC. If we have it on our systems and decide to remove it[as stated above] there should be NO ISSUE with removing the program UNLESS[AS STATED ABOVE] the program ISN'T what S.A.R.L.[Skype] programmed this application to BE. And, YES, I did download Skype from this official website. 

-This error code 1603 should have been fixed if it's becoming, an seems to be an ongoing issue with nearly all PC's. Now that I have it, I am NOT happy. I cannot reinstall nor install the program? And even if you cannot fix the "reinstallation" method, FIX the ability to fully remove the program from the system. Only common sense would tell a developer or even a encoder this. Now that I have the same error code, and have done everything I could possibly do, there IS no need to question whether or not I have experience in tech, because I do, and there are few programs I have dealt with during my time in the PC field that cannot be removed are programs that are HARMFUL to the system. [Which has me to strongly believe either A: Someone does not know how to code, or B: Skype is "more" that just a video/chat program]

The only conclusion I have is to[sadly] RESET my O.S. [Windows XP, SP3, 32bit] which I am NOT prepared to do because this is my main work PC and this "mishap" on the behalf of S.a.r.l.'s end should not happen. it should have been fixed by NOW. IF NOT patched.

I await a "healthy solution", otherwise sooner than later you will be paying for any damages "software wise" you have done to my PC. 

Good day.

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Windows Start is not an icon on your desktop but the most left button on the taskbar, the one that looks like a glob with a flag.

You can also try to apply the “Fix it” from this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/en

View solution in original post
infinitoar
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 24 (19,353 Views)

Re: I CANNOT remove Skype from my computer

Following these instructions WILL delete ALL your Skype history!

Please make sure that as impossible as it seems that there is no Skype.exe running, you can do this by starting the Windows Task Manager keyboard keys all at once CTRL ALT DEL, click the processese tab, we need to make sure that there are no running Skpe.exe processes or SkypeSetup...exe running processes, if ou see any please select then, and click the "End Process" button for each of them.

NOTE: Revo creates a restore point and does a full registry backup as well, automatically.

Please install this, please note that you will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

revouninstaller.com

Once Revo is installed, if it did not start, please start it.

From the Revo main window please do:

Commands -> Forced Uninstall

Please make sure the Advanced Radio Button is checked.

Next in the "Programs Exact Name" please enter:

Please click the next button. Note it can take some time for this to complete.

Once completed, please press the "Scan" button to look for anything that might still be left over from prior Skype installs.

Please click the "Select All" button, and then the "Delete" button.

You may be presented with files and flolders left over, again, Please click the "Select All" button, and then the "Delete" button.

Please Exit Revo and Reboot.

Please now install the beta release, again you will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice, please save the download to your C: drive, once downloaded please run the installer from your hard drive:

download.skype.com/SkypeSetupFull-Beta.exe

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 24 (19,331 Views)

OK I just used "Revo" to clean my registry. Restarted as directed and now it's still on my "Add/Remove" programs. 

I don't know what part of "I want this removed from my SYSTEM", did you not understand, but that is what I want. I don't want any lingering folders, no applications files, NOT in my "Add/Remove" programs list, NOWHERE. I asked, in a somewhat of a calm and cool method, and now I am beginning to get infuriated. 

-I checked Task Manager there is nothing by the name of "Skype.exe" there. And I checked this before anyway. 

-Why do I have to use a THIRD PARTY windows application to remove something "Skype" did wrong on MY system? Does this mean that the development team has no company solution for this mishap? Just hand it off to another company and hopefully they will fix YOUR issue? Now Skype is really starting to upset me because all this sounds like is a "BP Oil Spill" version of a chat program.

-Why not create a .exe within the beta of Skype[the new beta] that FULLY removes the old Skype? Or make a stand alone .exe file so that if others DON'T want Skype back on their system[like me, because after this, I don't want Skype. Ever again.] due to the ignorance of it's developers and encoders, that they can do just that, remove the program from their system FULLY. You made the mess S.a.r.l/Skype now be a responsible company for once, and clean up the mess YOU made. 

-When I do try to remove it from my add/remove programs, OR use Revo to remove, this prompt comes up: "The feature you trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailble. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "Skype.msi" in the box below." --so just for sh--s and giggles, I made sure my network card is off, tried, prompt came up. Turned of my wifi card, tried, prompt came up, used Windows "Search" to find Skype.msi, "nothing" came up. So if I don't HAVE the msi file, and I've cleaned the registry, deleted all folders related to Skype and Skype in general, WHY is it STILL within my add/remove programs and WHY like everything other program IF you remove the Program File folder, does windows NOT give me a prompt saying: The folders of this program is gone, do you wish to remove this off of the add/remove list? --or-- -,do you wish to remove/delete the remaining items and this item from the add/remove list? I've restarted my PC, heck, I have even turned it complety OFF then turned it back on, and nothing changed. And how is it a "network resource", please explain that to me, since you all at Skype so kindly SCREWED UP my work PC. 

Something fishy is going on at Skype and either they won't tell anyone or they are trying to pretend they have fixed a issue that is still what it IS, an ISSUE. Or better[worse] yet they don't know HOW to fix the issue thus them directing people to another 3rd party program to fix their mess. How immature for a company. I was better off letting "Windows" find a solution. 

Whether you take this as an offense or not S.a.r.l./Skype/Skype Developers/etc, you are the WORST technical support I have EVER dealt with, and quite obvious the WORST group of programmers to have ever graced chat program encoding and/or FIXING what mistakes you've made.  

Sadly enough after this mishap I would gladly tell everyone on "Facebook", in real life, and everywhere and everyone else who asks me should they get Skype to AVOID this program, because hence, I've had the worst experience WITH it. And I would rather no one else go through this hassle I've been through either. 

Now if you'll excuse me I now have to debate whether or not I need to do a full O.S. reinstall, a destructive recovery of my HDD, or figure out why still "Skype 5.3" is still on my system, and try my best to remove it. Oh and let's not forget I have to back everything up just in case I do reinstall everything. Something I wouldn't have to do if I avoided this treacherous program. 

Good day. 

infinitoar
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 24 (19,326 Views)

[ Edited ]

IF you want MY help, which I provide for FREE, and I do NOT work for Skype, but I do have over 41 years Systems programming consulting experience, and 7 years of developer experience with Skype, please watch your tone. It's my choice to help you, and if you don't want MY help and can't change your tone, please wait for someone else to help you. Helping you is MY choice.

Using Revo was step 1.  It's NOT a "Cure All" in all cases and there is no way ahead of time to predict if that step alone will do what you want. In your case we need to re-install to get things synced up so that Add/Remove programs will in fact work.

Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

If you have the normal Skype version installed, please install the beta version, if you have the beta version installed please install the normal version from Skype.com, please do NOT remove the current Skype installation, install over it.

You can install the current release or the Current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal or beta release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Now please follow these instructions afterwards, and "Yes I understood".

Please copy/paste the link below once the above has been done and follow these instructions:

support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 4 of 24 (19,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't know what "tone" you speak of, but there must be "audio" coming from the words I type.[which is impossible] What is even sadder is that you of all people chose to help me [which I am grateful to an extent]when the officials are not. Very immature for a company, very non-professional on all standards, low and high. And you chose to help me, true, but I clearly stated already this is a very upsetting matter because in "my experiences" of PC's very rarely do I come across a "program that is "un-uninstallable". 3rd party programs with that nature only spell disaster for the system it's running on because more than "likely" the program is "meant" to harm the system, thus why it can't be "removed". Skype on "my" system has that same behavioral routine "now", and "as" I stated before this is my "work" PC. There are files that are very important to me, that I'd rather not have to back up[which I have backed up the core data] along with other files that are large in size that I would have to back up too because of the need to "reset" the O.S. on my system just to remove Skype. Which I am "really" not prepared/wanting to do. 

I've used your "Revo" solution and it did not help. You have 41 years of experience and 7 in Skype, yet I tried to list everything that I have done as far as a solution so that you may draw up a proper conclusion and still, nothing. THAT is what is upsetting me. 

However, I thank you for your solutions, and attempts to help my issue, but if you don't know the pure cause of all of this and what is causing it, why try? Users will only get MORE frustrated if a proper solution is not advised to, and only stir up more confusion, and maybe even hostility towards your help. I understand your need for helping out of the kindness of your heart, but it isn't worth putting yourself on the line for a company that messes up and refuses to make proper solutions for a program they cannot properly code. Or even patch to fix. 

I will state again, I cannot reinstall the beta of Skype or the normal version of Skype because the 1603 prompt is disallowing the installation of Skype. I do not "want" Skype back on my system, I want it completely "off" my system. If your tactic is reinstalling, then removing, the "1603" prompt stops your idea dead. Whatever this error 1603 is, it's stopping all removal and uninstall methods of Skype. Period.

As I shall state "again" I am running Windows XP, Service Pack 3, fully updated, the latest drivers on all programs, 32bit O.S. 

What you've copied and pasted I've already looked at, done, but still to no avail the prompt shows up. Even worse Windows says the %appdata%\skype isn't "there". So how is this all possible?

I do not know what else to tell you but I've followed you advice/methods and they are not helping me. This only has me to believe Skype isn't the best choice of chat services or programs, and that sadly I have to find or "buy" a very large HDD and back up my important files[basic and full files] and reinstall my operating system. This is a very upsetting day for me and I regret ever downloading this program. 

Good day.

infinitoar
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 24 (19,306 Views)

Re: How do I remove Skype from one of my laptops , keeping it on my other MAC computers

blobbus_middlet
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 24 (19,129 Views)

Thank you for your kind and helpful advice.  Old Skype gone and new Skype installed and all done in a few minutes.  The internet needs more kind people like you.  Kind rgds   John

wjblemings
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 24 (18,143 Views)

Followed instructions and it worked perfectly, thank you so much.
whmf00001
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 24 (17,957 Views)

thx a looooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt u helped me ......

fairouz
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 24 (17,153 Views)

You refer to this link:

support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-complet​ely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

My browser tells me that his is a dead link.

Still my ver 4.1 Skype exists in my install/uninstall menu, and the forum tells me not to uninstall it. Installing on top of the old version does not work. I get an error message, even if I try to install full version on top of beta version.

I have tried various of a long row of advices, and still I can't manage to update my Skype.

I am on a W7 64-bits system.

For a long time I have got error messages when trying to update my Skype. Now I decided to dig deeper and have the installation done. After serveral hours I am still at version 4.1. Please help!

Knut664
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 24 (16,857 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling