How to turn off Menu bar at bottom of video call s...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How to turn off Menu bar at bottom of video call screen

Does anyone have any clue how to get rid of that annoying bar covering the bottom of the screen during a video call with the video on/off mic on/off and call quality info. It comes and goes but it is most prevailant and wont go away when I have one of the buttons selected. Such as -> It keeps the muted symbol covering the screen at ALL times even when the bar decides to disappear for a minute or two and mysteriously come back.

It gets in the way of seeing alot of interesting stuff sometimes!!!

Please help!

Bryso21
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 19 (22,873 Views)

Re: How to turn off Menu bar at bottom of video call screen

Bryso21 wrote:

Does anyone have any clue how to get rid of that annoying bar covering the bottom of the screen during a video call.

Hello,

It's activated by mouse motion. If you don't move the mouse the bar should disappear after 10 seconds or so.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1325
Message 2 of 19 (22,868 Views)

Even when my mouse is not moving, the bar remains on the bottom of the screen.  Any fix for that?  Thanks!

oppie48
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 19 (22,822 Views)

ensure that you are running the very latest version of Skype for Windows, which is currently 5.9.0.123, and that your mouse pointer is not sitting on the call control bar
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 426
Message 4 of 19 (22,809 Views)

Same thing is happening for me, anyone?

louiedodge
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 19 (21,702 Views)

I think the bar only stays there if the connection is at its lowest (when it's red)

snowgirl
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 19 (21,301 Views)

Skype also keeps the Call Control Bar in view while its trying to notify you of unread IM, and while your mouse pointer is positioned over it
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 426
Message 7 of 19 (21,288 Views)

I also find the inability to disable the menu bar very annoying. It effectively blocks part of your video stream if you wish to use the chat feature whilst in a video, as you will constantly be using the mouse when sending chat messages.

The interface would be far more usable if one or more of the following was implemented-

1) Allow the menu bar to moved to the side of the video

2) Allow the menu bar to be decoupled from the video and put on a different part of the screen

3) Have a check box in configuration that allows this feature to be disabled/toggled

I'm sure this forum isn't frequented by the developers, but if someone knows how to effectively get this feedback to them, I'd love to have it passed on or be directed on how to pass it on myself.

Alternatively, does someone know a registry change or other modification that can be made to the skype software to remove this?

Thanks!

iqis60
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 19 (20,838 Views)

I had the same problem.  It seems that I had an option checked that makes that bar stay on screen. Turn it off:

Tools > Accessibility > Screen Reader Mode

After turning that off, the bar only appears when I hover over the video.

Cheers,

tehSpork

http://www.twitter.com/xsp0rkx

tehspork
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 19 (20,083 Views)

click on Tools, then accessibility, then screen reader mode, remove the check

paula373
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 19 (19,668 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling