How to turn Skype wifi off?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How to turn Skype wifi off?

I never even downloaded skype wifi... but when i was in the middle of a voice call, it ended the call. And then every time i tried to call the person back, it didn't go through. I checked my skype wifi and it said that "my hotspot is not supported." but i'm not using a hotspot, i'm using my home wifi network. How do I turn skype wifi off?

PLEASE HELP!!!

rose_greewnood
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 13 (2,487 Views)

Re: How to turn Skype wifi off?

Skype wifi is only a mechanism by which the Skype client can sense certain pay-as-you go wifi hotspots worldwide, and allows you to pay for access automatically using Skype credit -- obviously this does not apply to your home wifi network, which is why you got the message saying that your hotspot is not supported

the Skype wifi feature has absolutely no effect on your ability to use your own free wifi at home

your issue may have been a simple radio channel conflict from some other nearby wireless router

there are many other possible reasons for poor connectivity

the Skype wifi feature will definitely not have anything to do with the reason that your call ended abnormally

what actually occurred when you tried to call back that person?

what kind of internet connection do you have, what make/model PC, what version windows, and what version of Skype

are you able to make Skype calls now?

for example, what happens when you try to contact echo123 (Skype's echo sound test facility)?
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 281
Message 2 of 13 (2,481 Views)

I am not satisfied with the response to the question.  It is imperative to be able to set an option to prevent skype wifi from cannibalising skype credit that is intended only for skype calls.

My friend was logged into skype in an overseas hotel to do skype to skype.  A pop up about wifi appeared, and she closed it.  Absolutely categorically never selected anything like, 'OK' or 'SUBMIT.'  Her skype account was charged for wifi though she has never connected to skype wifi, did not know it existed until the charge showed up and I am fully convinced knowing her well that she did not accidentally or inadvertantly accept a skype wifi connection.  I'm more inclined to believe the new interface is buggy; that's how much I know this friend to be meticulous in refusing unwanted popups.  The hotel had free wireless, but as the above posting indicates, there might be a stronger interfering signal from a skype hotspot.  

To reiterate, I am not satisfied with the response to the question.  It is imperative to be able to set an option to prevent skype wifi from cannibalising skype credit that is intended only for skype calls.  If we should ever wish to connect via a skype wifi hotspot, this would require a separate permission check.  A pop up is invasive when it is not wanted and opens the traveller to situations like my friend's.  

ttx
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 13 (2,417 Views)

[ Edited ]

it is very easy to turn off Skype WifI

Tools > Options > Skype WiFi --> untick --> Save

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 13 (2,415 Views)

[ Edited ]

AAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!

---

On this image... Where is Tools?!?!?

http://www.screencast.com/t/4dJBqtatmS

There isn't one! So stop arrogantly saying, well it's easy ...

So... HOW DO I DISABLE SKYPE WIFI!?!?!?!

Edited to conform with the Community Guidelines and
http://www.skype.com/en/legal/etiquette/

pblanton
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 5 of 13 (2,212 Views)

Which version of Skype do you use?

Please reinstall latest Skype client.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

and Unmark / Uncheck Enable Skype WiFi.

Wi-Fi.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6188
Message 6 of 13 (2,204 Views)

I'm using the latesat I think...

Skype version Version 6.1.0.2295 for Mac.

pblanton
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 13 (2,203 Views)

[ Edited ]

pblanton wrote:

I'm using the latesat I think...

Skype version Version 6.1.0.2295 for Mac.

not that it really matters, but the link to the screenshot that you posted is not working

this forum is for WINDOWS

after you had your head re-aligned, go post your issue in the Mac forum where it belongs

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 13 (2,201 Views)

[ Edited ]

--- Skype is Skype. If the menu is completely different between each version then that's NOT a me problem, that's a Skype problem.

Besides, the OP didn't say "Windows" and neither did any of you ---

Edited to conform with the Community Guidelines and
http://www.skype.com/en/legal/etiquette/

pblanton
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 13 (2,197 Views)

sorry, wrong door

this is Windows section

Please repost to Mac

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/bd-p/Mac

You can try disabling "Skype WiFi" in Skype's preferences.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6188
Message 10 of 13 (2,194 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling