How to stop automatic updates of SKYPE - update is...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How to stop automatic updates of SKYPE - update is a virus or trojan!

The latest update of Skype started installation without asking in the middle of a conversation. The call was consequenly terminated, the computer freezed completely and only thing to to was to power down. That is, all work was lost. Not only the computer freezed, the whole local network on "my" side of the Cisco router went down, even the printers and network drives require restart.

Two choices top automatic updates or remove Skype from the network. The automatic update is more like a trojan or other virus. Skype is distributing viruses.

pe_kooo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (1,753 Views)

Re: How to stop automatic updates of SKYPE - update is a virus or trojan!

[ Edited ]

was anybody, who can't protect himself by UAC (Vista, Win7), successful with the precaution described here?

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Stop-stop-automatic-updates/m-p/60812#M6694

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 631
Message 2 of 4 (1,598 Views)

My own experience is that with UAC enabled you can always stop the update process. Happened several times for me and I was always able to say – deny access.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6926
Message 3 of 4 (1,583 Views)

ruwim wrote:

with UAC enabled you can always stop the update process.

good reminder. same experience here - with vista and win7.

on XP, however, you need different measures. (a.) in your home network, the IP of the update server can be blocked within a router based firewall. (b.) in a foreign network, an appropriate personal firewall or an indeletable skypesetup.exe in %temp% may do the job. without either of them, I myself once experienced an assault like the creator of this thread.

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 631
Message 4 of 4 (1,575 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling