How to get back to older version of skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: How to get back to older version of skype?

Am having same problem since updating two days ago.
Posted from Apple iPad
marion_kaufmann
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 29 (5,065 Views)

I'm having all the same problems.

I tried going to OldApps and downloading Skype 5.8, but when I installed it I rec'd the same "insufficient privileges" error as before.  BTW, I run my PC as Admin and per file properties I am supposed to have full control yet I don't think Vista sees it that way.  

I never used to have problems with Skype but this latest version has turned out to be a bloody nightmare.   

Whitewraithe
Casual Adventurer
Message 12 of 29 (5,040 Views)

Revo Uninstaller does not work in Vista because it still accesses the Windows Installer. Due to the "insufficient privileges" error Skype remains installed.

Is there any program that can uninstall Skype, permanently???

This is becoming a painful nightmare!
Whitewraithe
Casual Adventurer
Message 13 of 29 (5,036 Views)

Skype 5 is just awful for both Windows and Mac.. the UI is terrible. What makes an Instant Messaging program great is simplicity and the ability to do other things in the background without having to minimize the program.

I would consider using Skype 5 if there was an alternative to this obtrustive UI such as a "Classic Mode" where I could simply have contacts listed by status and name without any of the sidebars and such.. something similar to Skype for Mac 2.8 where I could have a small and compact contact list and open multiple windows for conversations and calls instead of having just one large cluttered window that uses up all the space on my screen.

bc391
Novel Tourist
Message 14 of 29 (5,022 Views)

I really do HATE the new version of Skype I downloaded today. I thought it would be better but it's BLOODY AWFUL! This new Skype drives me crazy with the Facebook and that other junk. On top of that the format sucks too so I'd like to know, how the heck do I get my older, BETTER Skype back because there is no way that Skype can program the new version to be better, I JUST WANT MY OLD VERSION BACK. The answer is not making it better from our comments, Skype, it's just giving us the old versions back! Seriously! 

flootow28
Novel Tourist
Message 15 of 29 (4,999 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried hard so many times to get back to the old version of skpe such as version 5.0 or 5.3 but it doesn't allow me to. It prevented me and asked me instead to download the latest version. I hope SKYPE does not dictate the users as to what version we want to install. I hope it will be resolved VERY SOON!

rockyb567
Novel Adventurer
Message 16 of 29 (4,984 Views)

If you could please make taking pictures the way it use to be.

There use to be a self timer so you could take pictures of yourself, or you family.

I use set it on self timer and then run to get in the picture with my kids.

There is no longer this option with the new version.  And also, when I was forced

to upgrade to the new one, I lost ALL of my pictures of my kis and I in the picture gallery.

I am trying to revert or get the old skype back.  Maybe my pictures will still be there.

With this new skype, all you can do is take a picture of yourself for your profile picture only and it takes the picture instantly, so there is no time to pose, or get your hand out of the picture, because your having to push the shutter buttom with one of your hands and then, it doesn't even save the picture to the gallery.  I do not like the new version of skype.  The older one had more interesting options.  But if you could add those options to the new skype it would be a lot more fun.  Thanks.

silkrose01
Novel Tourist
Message 17 of 29 (4,974 Views)

HI, my Skype just up dated itself automatically to the new version.   Which I HATE.  I don't have enough time to describe all the ways that the new version is inefficient, non-intuitive, and does not have many of the features that I considered essential that were in the old version and are now not in this version.  Most reviews on the "internet" all agree that the new version is a major problem. 

I feel deeply angry that my Skype upgraded automatically without my permission.  I very much want to go back to the old version, and don't want to spend hours screwing around.  But I fear that is what I may have to do.   Is there any way to quickly get back to my old system and settings, and windows that I had laid out in a very particular way that worked for me. 

Or is there some technical reason that now we all have to learn to suffer with this new version because the old one is not interoperable with the new one? 

If so, I may consider switching to another service.  I have been a loyal paying customer of Skype for many years, I hope I can stay that way. 

Please help me stay a satisfied customer, rather than the immensely frustrated one I am now. 

Thanks. 

JohnReid
Novel Tourist
Message 18 of 29 (4,842 Views)

version 4.2 is the best and most stable version. 5.1 is the very, very bad. I don't know that MS doing about it. Lots and lots of clients reported ERROR messages during login...
ChristianO
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 19 of 29 (4,839 Views)

The new version of Skype is HORRIBLE !!!!!!! I was forced to download it and I hate it. If I can't get the older version back, I will stop using Skype. How can I get the older version back?
marmad07
Novel Tourist
Message 20 of 29 (4,390 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling