How to get back to older version of skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How to get back to older version of skype?

Hi,

I used to use old skype versions successfully after removing skype from my PC (uninstall through control panel in windows system). Recently I accepted the upgrade skype option. I tried to uninstall and get back to an older version. When I started using, the skype program forcefully logged me out. This kept on repeating and now I am unable to use the older skype versions. Looks like the Skype has stored something somewhere in my PC that I need to clear after which I might be able to use older version again without any problem.

Can anyone suggest me what I should be doing to be able to install older skype version successfully?

Cheers

Devsan
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 29 (44,314 Views)

Re: How to get back to older version of skype?

We recommend using always the latest version as they include fixed for bug, security problems and also general improvements. Also you will get the best audio and video quality only when using the latest version.

Maybe you can share what makes you want the old version back and we can look if the latest version can be improved that way.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12569
Message 2 of 29 (44,293 Views)

Thanks for your reply and recommendation.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that all new versions are good. Also I am not a fan of facebook etc and I feel this is congested. What I did not like actually is the fact that Skpe software now hijacks my decision of choosing a previous version. I just need to be able to make a decision on my machine (I do not need Skype to decide things on my machine). I only need to clean-up the cookies i suppose.  If anyone has ides, please let me know.

Cheers.

Devsan
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 29 (44,282 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've found the newer versions to be better in the ways Claudius mentioned...the ways that matter to me.  And I too don't use Facebook and don't use the Facebook integration.  I just declined it.

But if you want an older version of Skype, you can still get them here:

www.oldapps.com/skype.php

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 907
Message 4 of 29 (44,269 Views)

Thank you!

I used to download and run older versions easily without any problem. But last week I accidentally okayed to skype upgrade. After this, I am unable to run older versions evenafter I delete the current skype and install older version. Skype simply logs me out automatically without letting me do anything. If I download current version, then only I can use skype.

I am suspecting that skype recent version stores this upgrade info somewhere and interferes with older versions thereby crashing them. Primarily, this approach is what I disliked. I might suceed if I totally format my disk and start afresh without giving control to skype again. But this requires massive time. There must be a solution to this, I am wondering what could that be...

cheers! 

Devsan
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 29 (44,255 Views)

You can try a complete uninstall as described here:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 29 (44,246 Views)

Thank you g4pilut for your patience and help.

The "regedit" step was new to me in the process you mentioned. The rest I had already tried. So, I went through this process 3 times and deliberately tried to go to an old version 4.* something, 3.* something just to see if it allows me to operate these. I did not go for the most recent version, just to check if I am able to delete skype successfully from my PC. To my surprise/shock, I discovered that Skype does not even allow me to logon!

This is getting on my nerves now. I will try it several times again and try preventing Skype from dictating me what I should be doing. I will post the updates here anyway.

Cheers.

Devsan
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 29 (44,223 Views)

If you're not comfortable doing a registry edit you can use a tool like Revo Uninstaller to do the complete uninstall.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 29 (44,217 Views)

Thank you! I did registry edit as your explanation was very clear. I am probably missing some step here I guess. I just need to try and get it. The only thing I probably missed was, when I gave "skype" in find, it gave tens of files but I deleted only the ones that had "skype" in them. May be I should delete all.

The other steps such as Skype folders, SkypePM etc I am familiar with and I have no issues there.

This issue I encountered only with the recent Skype version, I never had this problem before. So, there is something this new version does to discourage from going back to older versions.

Thanks again, I will try your new suggestion too.

Cheers!

Devsan
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 29 (44,202 Views)

If a regedit find found an entry when searching for Skype, there's probably a reason and for a full install that key/value/data should probably be deleted.

But again, if you're not comfortable doing this, use Revo instead of doing it manually.

I don't have any other ideas why you wouldn't be able to install an older version and I have no way of trying to duplicate your issue.  As I said earlier, I'm happy with the current Skype version.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 29 (44,195 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling