How to edit my contacts information

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How to edit my contacts information

My friend just changed his phone number , but i am having trouble delete his old phone number , i already added his new phone number , but i have problem to delete the old one , The issue is even more critical when i use my mobile phone version , because it show me only the first number that the new added one , the only option i have now is to add his new phone number as a new contact . Please advice me what to do

wil1976
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (11,798 Views)

Re: How to edit my contacts information

you cannot edit/delete numbers that a contact originally added to THEIR OWN profile

that contact should simply edit the number in their own profile, and the change will appear in your contact list (note that the sync of the changes won't likely show on your contact list until after you next sign out and sign back in again)

you can add other/NEW numbers to the profile for a contact on your system if, for some reason, that contact doesn't wish to add them to their own profile
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 312
Message 2 of 10 (11,644 Views)

You write: "you cannot edit/delete numbers that a contact originally added to THEIR OWN profile" This might be true but it is not a fair answer.

Many of the fixed-line numbers I add are not inputted by the owner of that number (many are public offices) at all.

I suspect Skype has reasons of their own to make it impossible to change the first number, even though it looks so stupid from our side. Just consider the case when you register a wrong number: It is there and you cannot modify it.

This is very suspicious and perhaps it is time to run away from Skype. Unless Skype comes up with a convincing explanation or allow the editing/cancellation.

GPofItaly
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 10 (11,601 Views)

GPofItaly wrote:
Many of the fixed-line numbers I add are not inputted by the owner of that number (many are public offices) at all.

I suspect Skype has reasons of their own to make it impossible to change the first number

you can easily edit any of the numbers that you add to a SkypeOut contact that you create yourself, including the first number

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (11,599 Views)

Neil says

"you can easily edit any of the numbers that you add to a SkypeOut contact that you create yourself, including the first number"

How?

My regularly called contacts are becoming unusable as their contact numbers are evolving and changing.  It is easier to pick up my phone than mess with a non updatable skype

meadowman
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 10 (11,543 Views)

[ Edited ]

meadowman wrote:

Neil says

"you can easily edit any of the numbers that you add to a SkypeOut contact that you create yourself, including the first number"

How?

your contact is responsible for editing the numbers that they have included in their profile

you can only edit the numbers that YOU have subsesquently added to supplement the ones that your contact included in their own profile

to do so, select the contact from the list on the left, and then click on the dropdown arrow to the right of the 'call' button (in the conversation window on the right) -- when you hover your mouse each number listed, you will see a small pencil on a button to the right of each number for which editing is permitted

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (11,536 Views)

I DID. And it is a contact that I have added. NO PENCIL MARK, NO NOTHING.

I am stuck with that contact, unless I delete it completely and add a new one from scratch.

armgar10
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (11,518 Views)

[ Edited ]

armgar10 wrote:

I DID. And it is a contact that I have added. NO PENCIL MARK, NO NOTHING.

I am stuck with that contact, unless I delete it completely and add a new one from scratch.

this isn't about who added the contact -- you are ALWAYS the one that adds contacts

the issue is that this contact added the number IN THEIR OWN PROFILE, and that is why the number is shown for you already (you didn't add that particular NUMBER to the entry on your contact list), and that is why you cannot edit it

only that contact can edit their own profile to change that number, and you will see the change on your own contact list when that contact decides to do it

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (11,514 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1964
Message 9 of 10 (11,204 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1964
Message 10 of 10 (10,663 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling