How to disable skype from starting up automaticall...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

How to disable skype from starting up automatically with windows

I know there is another thread touching this issue (Making skype not start up with windows) but it did not help much. Partly because it was clogged with other subjects.

I run Skype 5.3.0.120 on a Win XP SP3 machine.

I have unchecked the "Start Skype when computer starts" and "Sign me in when Skype starts" on the login screen.

I have also signed in and unchecked the "Start Skype when I start Windows" box found under Tools->Options->General.

I have also run the "msconfig" program but there is no entry for Skype to find in the AUtostart section.

But Skype still starts automatically (to the sign in screen) when I start my computer.

Is my machine possibly corrupted in some way (it works fine otherwise) or what is the problem. Googling on this issue you may give you the impression that many people see this problem but that there is no feasible solution. Is Skype possibly doing this on purpose (ignoring that some of us don't want Skype on startup)?

Please Skype, help me out on this.

Regards,

/Gunnar Alm

This widget could not be displayed.
inos
Novel Tourist

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

ruwim, thanks a lot for your post, it showed me the way... :(y):

I had very same problem - Skype is starting up with windows regardless my settings within skype.  ruwim's post pointed me out to my Bluetooth Application called IVT Corporation BlueSoleil.

There is an option "Support VoIP Instant Messangers" in the options settings of Bluetooth Application. This was the trigger which started up Skype.

It can be easily tested:

- exit skype

- exit suspected application (in my case it was that  Bluetooth Application)

- start again the suspected application

- see if Skype started or not. (in my case Skype was started just after Bluetooth Application) 

- bingo, I found the trigger wich started Skype!

Hope this post will help to someone. 

View solution in original post
gunnar_alm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (159,576 Views)

Re: How to disable skype from starting up automatically with windows

if the usual methods don't work, please enter msconfig in the Run command then click the Startup tab.  Look for and uncheck Skype.  Restart computer for the changes to take effect.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1514
Message 2 of 12 (159,558 Views)

If you don’t see Skype in msconfig Startup list, then it’s quite unlikely that Skype program as such is set to start with Windows. However, there might be that some other devices or applications are setup to start with Windows and they consequently trigger start of Skype. Are you using something like Skype enabled USB phone, recording device or similar?
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6062
Message 3 of 12 (159,552 Views)

There is somewhat of a trick you can do to make this stick:

Uncheck the checboxes on the logon screen, logon as the Skype name in question, right click on the Skype icon in the system tray, click quit, all will be well, Skype will now not start at startup or logon when started.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 4 of 12 (159,546 Views)

Thanks for all the posts. I have done the same things and it still starts up:

• all "startup automatically" boxes are unticked;
  • there is no "Skype" in msconfig;
  • there is no "Skype" in any startup file;
  • I quit Skype every time I startup the PC after it finally comes up and releases the PC resources;
  • There are no Skype attached devices.

Andit still starts up! It never used to do that but after the latest upgrade it commenced.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ray

raymon8
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 12 (158,895 Views)

raymon8 wrote:

Thanks for all the posts. I have done the same things and it still starts up:

• all "startup automatically" boxes are unticked;
  • there is no "Skype" in msconfig;
  • there is no "Skype" in any startup file;
  • I quit Skype every time I startup the PC after it finally comes up and releases the PC resources;
  • There are no Skype attached devices.

Andit still starts up! It never used to do that but after the latest upgrade it commenced.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ray

You may download and install the Autoruns application:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Using Autoruns you may be able to find what program is causing Skype to start on bootup.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6062
Message 6 of 12 (158,891 Views)

ruwim, thanks a lot for your post, it showed me the way... :(y):

I had very same problem - Skype is starting up with windows regardless my settings within skype.  ruwim's post pointed me out to my Bluetooth Application called IVT Corporation BlueSoleil.

There is an option "Support VoIP Instant Messangers" in the options settings of Bluetooth Application. This was the trigger which started up Skype.

It can be easily tested:

- exit skype

- exit suspected application (in my case it was that  Bluetooth Application)

- start again the suspected application

- see if Skype started or not. (in my case Skype was started just after Bluetooth Application) 

- bingo, I found the trigger wich started Skype!

Hope this post will help to someone. 

inos
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (158,494 Views)

I was having the same issue that Skype wasn't in the Startup folder, msconfig boot, or anywhere else.  Autoruns worked like a champ and Skype no longer starts up when I reboot or log off/on.  Thanks for the tip.

wghrist
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 12 (154,429 Views)

many third-party utilities that support Skype can check to see if Skype is currently running and offer an option to start Skype up if it is NOT currently running

tools like Autoruns will not detect this method by why Skype starts 'automatically'
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 297
Message 9 of 12 (154,404 Views)

None of the above worked 

SKYPE should be in control of itself as its not I have unistalled it as its a right pain in the arse , all the posts here try to blame someone eles well its your fault skype fix this and ill come back dont and get to f***

Policematrix
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 12 (150,353 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling