How to disable/disconnect webcam from skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How to disable/disconnect webcam from skype?

I use Skype for audio calls, have done for years, and I have no interest in video calls, especially at the moment because we are currently sharing a low bandwidth connection and even the audio calls stress the system. This has never been a problem before because I have simply not had a webcam but I bought a netbook for this journey and Skype has connected to the webcam without any permission dialogues (I expected something like the dialogues that come up when you plug in a new headset.)

Now, I know I don't have to make a video call and I know I can answer with just audio, not video but I just don't want the camera connected to Skype at all - it's a privacy issue, I should have the option to disable it - I have had trouble with receiving messages from strangers despite my settings being correct, before and, frankly, I just don't trust that the webcam won't be functioning when I don't want it to (as it did when the new "Home" page started up, today.) 

Any thoughts?

Danisidhe
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 26 (76,865 Views)

Re: How to disable/disconnect webcam from skype?

Danisidhe, privacy is important and I sympathise. I solve that particular problem by simply disconnecting the USB cable from camera to computer. But on a laptop you don't have that luxury.

I have an old version (2.5.0.154 ) on an old XP box, back when video was a novelty to Skype. It is interesting to see on that old system there was a clear option, a checkbox to "Enable Skype Video". Looks like that is what you want but sorry, the Skype Gods seem to have taken it away.

I don't know why they do things like that.

BTW, that old version still runs just fine......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
cedarviola
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 2 of 26 (76,789 Views)

Indeed, I've been using skype since the audio-only, days, too and I have had the video option disabled since video camein but, as you say, the option no longer exists. What was particularly worrying to me was that I actually went into Device Manager and disabled the webcam - it was not accessible by the other webcam enabled applications but when I booted up Skype, up came the home screen with the webcam enabled again! I did not give Skype the permission to re-enable devices that I had enabled! 

Perhaps Skype thinks its users are all Facebook-Generation who don't feel they exist unless they are being watched - which would also explain this "Home Screen" thing - but there are many adults and businesses who simply want to use their VOIP services.

Danisidhe
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 26 (76,782 Views)

Evidently you can't. Hate that!! I think I'll go back to my old laptop without the camera. Or can someone tell me another service like Skype that lets you turn off the camera?

katndmouse
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 26 (74,685 Views)

Can they see me even if they don't have a webcam (my camera is built-in, so I have no control)? I am relatively new to Skype and I have relatives overseas who type instead of using a microphone, because they don't have one. So I have no idea is people are watching me, this is what I am starting to realise. Isn't there a way to control my camera using Control Panel? 

SBmelb
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 26 (74,175 Views)

I think the simplest thing is to put a piece of tape over the camera ... works perfectly.

jf1234
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 26 (72,616 Views)

worse than anything is that skype and it's gang of owners are eating bandwidth

we can all put tape on the camera .... but it still eats bandwidth

and what is the point .... why NOT give the option to open or not the video component

slap the head of skype and join the noise on this .... maybe they'll read it and care 

oh for the good old days when skype was "just a service" ..... 

ejs
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 26 (71,280 Views)

To control the webcam I've started using webcamlock. This program enables you to control very easily what applications can or cannot use your webcam, you can even set a password to restrict kids access to the webcam... I'm using it just to block the webcam during my skype calls and it works great!...  the download at www.webcamlock.net.

David.

it_guy
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 26 (70,854 Views)

That was a good suggestion.  I have installed webcamlock for free from their website http://www.webcamlock.net and it is really easy to use.  I am now comfortable that no one is watching me ... there has been so much talk lately with the Rutgers case about webcam spying that I have become a bit paranoid ... thanks

techie1001
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 26 (70,564 Views)

click Tools >> Options >> General Settings >> Video Settings.

then select show that you have webcam to "no one".

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 238
Message 10 of 26 (70,546 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling