Re: How to disable/disconnect webcam from skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

I tried the software. You get a free 3 month license. Works like charm. Very easy to use. Kudos for pointing us in that direction.

khaledhakim
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 26 (10,081 Views)

VooDooDoll wrote:

click Tools >> Options >> General Settings >> Video Settings.

then select show that you have webcam to "no one".

that won't work

it only refers to showing others that you have webcam IN YOUR PROFILE

it has nothing to do with whether the camera can work or not

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 294
Message 12 of 26 (10,075 Views)

I realize this is a semi old topic, but wouldn't it be much much simpler than getting some external software, which costs money after 1-3 months mind you, if you just went and opened up your Device Manager, found your webcam under Imaging Devices, and disabled it?

That's what I did because my internet company just this month started capping our bandwidth usage.
Argon_The_Evil
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 26 (9,740 Views)

Thanks for that suggestion, but I actually tried disabling from the device manager before I posted here - the moment I booted up Skype, it was re-enabled! It's all very odd. 

Danisidhe
Novel Adventurer
Message 14 of 26 (9,735 Views)

Very odd indeed. Because I just tried that, quitting skype then restarting, and my webcam stayed disabled. So I tried rebooting my computer, started skype up, it was still disabled. Is it possible you didn't disable all the components of your webcam? More than one possibly?

Also I should probably note that I uninstalled the software that was preinstalled on my computer for the webcam. That might have something to do with it. If I ever want to use a webcam, which will be rarely, it'll only be using my USB Logitech LifeCam, not the crappy built in one. Not wasting bandwidth on something of such low quality and for something so insignificant. As long as my friends can hear me, that's all that matters.

Argon_The_Evil
Novel Adventurer
Message 15 of 26 (9,732 Views)

[ Edited ]

Doesn't work on a MacBook. There isn't even a Tools option, the closets thing is going into Skype and then Privacy and then Allow Screen and Video Sharing with No One, but my question is, can they still see that you have webcam that way?

And I have figured out that eventhough I said that I allow it with nobody (by calling myself though my other skype and iPhone) you can still ask to video chat and if you accidentally say yes, it will start to video chat.

LoveofKnowledge
Novel Adventurer
Message 16 of 26 (9,420 Views)

LoveofKnowledge wrote:

Doesn't work on a MacBook. There isn't even a Tools option, the closets thing is going into Skype and then Privacy and then Allow Screen and Video Sharing with No One, but my question is, can they still see that you have webcam that way?

And I have figured out that eventhough I said that I allow it with nobody (by calling myself though my other skype and iPhone) you can still ask to video chat and if you accidentally say yes, it will start to video chat.

this forum is for Skype issues under Windows

there is a separate forum for Mac issues

please post there

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 294
Message 17 of 26 (9,408 Views)

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1590
Message 18 of 26 (9,248 Views)

Um this might help :happy: if you have a laptop then go and click the start button on the bottom left corner of your screen and go to control panel and go to manage device. Then go down to image device and go to Webcam and disable it. And if you want it working again just enable it. I hope this works .

justinisasian
Novel Tourist
Message 19 of 26 (9,179 Views)

:bigsmile: thats the best idea!

mr-some1
Novel Tourist
Message 20 of 26 (5,943 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling