How to block contact?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

How to block contact?

I just merged my msn to Skype today Version 6.1 and can't block contact without removing them from profiles. Also, I wonder is it possible to minimize the Skype window size, like hide the Sky Home and Profile section so it will appear in a small rectangle on my computer? Thanks
DP11
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 23 (11,208 Views)

Re: How to block contact?

In the Contact List, Right click on your Skype contact then Select Block This Person...

In the menubar, Click View >> Compact View then close the Home Window.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6188
Message 2 of 23 (11,186 Views)

It seems there's no this option offered to me

contact

DP11
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (11,182 Views)

You can't block Facebook or Messenger contact within Skype application.

Block your MSN contact in People website.

http://people.live.com/?rru=contacts

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 23 (11,179 Views)

I am using Skype 6.1.59.129. After merge MSN and Skype account, I receive spam message every day. These spam messages come from a MSN account which is not in my contact list. I cannot block it with using Skype. I have set "people in my Contact list only" for all options in privacy settings but no help. 

The worst thing is, my machine often encounters blue screen when these spam messages pop up. 

Thanks for help!

deswoo
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (10,491 Views)

deswoo,

Please update to version 6.2

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Block them in People Website.

Or use WebIM.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 23 (10,451 Views)

I am currently upgraded to version 6.2 and am being bothered by spam.  I am unable to block the contact because they are using MSN messenger, they do not show up in people.live.com because they are not a friend/contact.  They are just some random spammer.  How can I stop them from bothering me since I cannot block them?  Or should I just stop using Skype since my privacy apparently doesn't matter to anyone?

mhaserodt
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 23 (10,423 Views)

What he said. Skype/MSN is complete crap now :sad:
djondjoe
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 23 (10,408 Views)

That is exactly same problem that I encounter. I do not see any report from other users, and thought if I made a mistake on setup. Before I merged MSN and SKYPE, this problem never happened before.
deswoo
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 23 (10,268 Views)

I am having a similar problem on Skype 6.2 for Mac.  The spam is coming from an account that used to be one of my contacts but that was broken into and taken over by spammers when they fell for one of those "give us your password" tricks.  I had then deleted this contact, but it keeps coming back in Skype although it does not show up in people.live.com.  Spam is received whenever I sign in.  Privacy settings are irrelevant.  Resistance is futile.  Until I did the following (warning, do this at your own risk, it involves messing with the innards of Skype) :

1.  If Skype is running and you have already tried to remove the offending contact in Skype, then quit Skype and re-start it so that the offending contact comes back.

2.  While the offending contact is still there, quit Skype again.  The offending contact's details will now be in Skype's database as an active contact, a fact which we are about to exploit.

3.  Go to Applications / Utilities / Terminal and type the following (replacing the bracketed phrases as appropriate) :

cd Library/Application Support/Skype/(YOUR-SKYPE-ID) (you might be able to type just the first few letters and press Tab to complete)

sqlite3 main.db

UPDATE Contacts SET isblocked=1 WHERE skypename="1:sad:SPAMMY-MSN-EMAIL)";

(repeat the last line for as many MSN emails as you want to block)

.quit

4. Close the Terminal and open Skype again.  You should now find they've been blocked properly.

5. For bonus points, figure out how to draw this post to the attention of a Microsoft engineer who can make Skype's "Block contact" option actually work.  The above sqlite3 commands should be exactly what they need to get Skype fixed properly.

ssb22
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 23 (10,246 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling