Re: How to Set Logitech C920 to 1080P for Video Ca...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

How to Set Logitech C920 to 1080P for Video Calls?

[ Edited ]

Two quesionss:

(1) Can someone please confirm for me if I, as a user, have any control over my web cam video resolution in Skype for video calls, or am I at the mercy of Skype deciding on the transmitted resolution?

(2) How can I determine, in realtime, the current transmit video resolution and frame rate?

Config wise I have an Intel quad core, HP notebook, running fully patched Win 7, 64 bit, (and I have just bought and installed) a Logitech C920 HD cam, and a 25Mb broadband connection.

Thanks.

This widget could not be displayed.
galanb
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Hi g4pilut,

Excellent, comprehensive answer - great job!  Thank you.

View solution in original post
galanb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (16,498 Views)

Re: How to Set Logitech C920 to 1080P for Video Calls?

[ Edited ]

1)  As a user you have no direct control over video resolution in Skype.  Skype auto-negotiates what it thinks is best based on condtiions that exist on the call.

2)  When on a call, click on Call > Call Technical Info.  You'll be able to see what resolution and frame rate you're sending and receiving.

Your specs sound OK for 1080p.  Are you running the latest C920 driver from Logitech?  Mine is 13.40.840.0.

Keep in mind that for 1080p, or even 720p, the contact at the other end of a call has to meet certain conditions too, bandwidth, CPU and RAM among them.

It also matters what version of Skype each end is running.  Both sides should click on Help > About Skype to confirm specific version number.  The current version today is 5.8.0.158.  If that's not what's seen, an update can be done via this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

What I see when I start a call under good condtions is 640x480 uploading at ~150 kB/s for the first 50 seconds or a minute, then a jump to 1280x720 and uploading at ~350 kB/s, and then in another minute or two, up to 1920x1080 and uploading at ~650 kB/s.

If the contact I'm on the call with also has a C920 the results are the same in the other direction.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 940
Message 2 of 5 (16,486 Views)

Hi g4pilut,

Excellent, comprehensive answer - great job!  Thank you.

galanb
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (16,471 Views)

:(y):

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 940
Message 4 of 5 (16,468 Views)

Just picked up the c920. If anyone would like to do a test call for 1080p, I'm game and I think my specs should be ok. Thanks!

john_fla
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 5 (15,110 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling