How do I stop the auto-start of Skype on boot up?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How do I stop the auto-start of Skype on boot up?

I don't want skype to open/start when I boot up my computer. I have a tasty icon on my desktop, and I only want it to open when I click it and start it myself.  This piece of software does not play nicely with other things I'm using far more frequently.

Of course I don't see anything in the help sections regarding this.  I'm sure it's a fairly simple few clicks but, of course, it's not obvious and hunting for it has only wasted about 30 minutes I could've (should've) been using to do other things.

Thanks!

Anotherlarper
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 21 (126,460 Views)

Re: How do I stop the auto-start of Skype on boot up?

Go to Tools -> Options -> General settings. Uncheck the option "Start Skype when I start Windows". Save and Quit Skype. Next time you reboot Windows, Skype will not start with Windows.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6359
Message 2 of 21 (126,352 Views)

I went to tools, options, and unchecked Start Skype.... and yet I still have to "quit" Skype to disable it.  I don't understand why it keeps starting up and I boot my PC.

carolpaterick
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 21 (126,313 Views)

carolpaterick wrote:

I went to tools, options, and unchecked Start Skype.... and yet I still have to "quit" Skype to disable it.  I don't understand why it keeps starting up and I boot my PC.

You may have another application starting your Skype when Windows starts. See this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/How-to-disable-skype-from-starting-up-automatically-with-windo...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6359
Message 4 of 21 (126,305 Views)

Something else for you to try (I don't guarantee that this is the answer, but simple to try):

from Windows "start" button,  select "run"  and in then  in the run command window, type MSCONFIG

This will open the "system configuration" window.

Select the "start-up"  tab,

Under heading "start-up item"  look and see if SKYPE is shown, and checked.  This is telling Windows to start Skype each time it starts windows.

If it is checked, uncheck it.

Click "apply"  and then "OK".

try that.

Nogeek
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 21 (126,294 Views)

I have a MAC, I dont know if that means something different but I do not have a "tools" I can not stand the auto start up. Please help!
gdweigel
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 21 (121,100 Views)

gdweigel wrote:
I have a MAC, I dont know if that means something different but I do not have a "tools" I can not stand the auto start up. Please help!

Please see-

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Recent-and-History-Crashing/m-p/966252/highlight/true#M71097

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6086
Message 7 of 21 (121,098 Views)

[ Edited ]

Very important disclaimer here:

I can't stress this enough: Do NOT try this if you are at all uncomfortable editing the Registry. Please get someone from your technical support department or with a software development background to assist you. Editing your registry incorrectly will render your system inoperable. That said, try the conventional solutions offered by others in this very thread before you resort to this alternative solution:

1. Go to the following section of the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2. Delete the Skype key. Don't edit it, just delete that entire key completely and ONLY the Skype key. None of the other keys you see in that section are involved.

3. Please click "Accept As Solution" if this solution worked for you, or Kudos if you found this useful.

Shadowhawk176
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 21 (110,667 Views)

totalandrew
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 21 (108,758 Views)

Oh it is very easy to fix the auto start up programs on mac os x. First go to the apple menu which is on the top left corner. Then click system preferences. Navigate to accounts which is near the bottom of the settings. Then unlock the lock on the bottom to make changes it will prompt you to enter your computers password then type it in. Go to start up after you click your account and click skype and click the minus button. If you want to add a start up application click the + button and select the program you want.

Jonathanchasr
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 21 (104,906 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling