How do I stop Skype from trying to take over my Go...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How do I stop Skype from trying to take over my Google Voice calls?

When I initiate a call on Google Voice, Skype attempts to take over that call by stating that it observes that I'm calling a U.S. phone number, and offering to put that call through via Skype.  I initiate the call using Gmail, and don't tell Skype anything, but Skype starts up every time I begin windows.  I just want Skype to work when I ask it to, not when it sees I'm doing something it might handle.

Irv-Federman
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (2,518 Views)

Re: How do I stop Skype from trying to take over my Google Voice calls?

not sure, but it sounds a bit like you installed the Skype addon for your browser -- if so, you should be able to find a Skype toolbar button which can be used to disable the feature to see if it is an issue

there is an option on the client sign in screen to set Skype to start with Windows -- sign out, and check the sign in options you desire before signing in again
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 270
Message 2 of 6 (2,246 Views)

I discovered that when Skype asks me if I'd like to place a call, it allows me to tell it to stop doing that.  It does so by providing a check mark in the box where I am to accept its making the call for me.  However, it is confusing because I don't want it to make the call which means for the box, I want to cancel Skype making the call, but I also want it to stop asking  me, so I check that component of the box.

So I wasn't sure if my request for Skype to stop offering to make calls had been accepted because I was simultaneously cancelling the call it was offering to do. 

Now, I'm signing off from my PC, and this offer comes up again.  I'm tired, so I say "ok" since cancel didn't work.  Now Skype makes the call, and I see no way to either stop it, or end the call.  Who builds a phone that has no way to hang up?

Irv-Federman
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (2,239 Views)

perhaps a screenshot or two would help

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 270
Message 4 of 6 (2,236 Views)

Looks like I solved it.  I would have liked to attach a screenshot, but to do so I would have had to have known that I could do such a thing. I'll know for the future.  For now, the checking the option "Don't show this again" worked.  Whether it worked when I "cancelled" the call, or when I said "Ok" for the call, I do not know.  

(I realize that for those who don't know what that box looks like, this sounds like gibberish, but there are several windows facilities, or web based designs that do something similar where a choice to never see the screen again is provided along with the opportunity to cancel the action the screen offers.  Logically, canceling should also enable you to cancel being provided the offer again as well).

What I think happened was when I placed a call much earlier, I didn't see the Skype choice, and when I prepared to shut down, this choice that previously hadn't been answered appeared.  The screen was hidden by whatever activities and screens I subsequently opened up, and only was visible when I closed the screens that had opened over this older screen.

My conclusion is that when the choice to use Skype over Google Voice is given, a person should check the "don't show me this screen again", and then hit the "cancel" button.  The screen won't come up again, and Google Voice will handle telephone calls without Skype offering to do so.

Irv-Federman
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (2,228 Views)

In Windows Control Panel, ulninstall the program "Skype Click to Call": Start, Control Panel, Prgrams, Uninstall a Program, click Sklype Click to Call, and uninstall. When I upgraded Skype today, there was an option I didn't read carefully which I think started this hijacking of Google voice calls by Skype. I just uninstalled Skype Click to Call, and it ended that process.

arlenezimmerly
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (1,639 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling