How do I get rid of the Skype "Click to Call" cr*p...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How do I get rid of the Skype "Click to Call" cr*pware in Firefox.

Although I positively did not request nor permit it, Skype has snuck in their cr*pware "Click to Call" into my Firefox 5.0 browser.

I've gone into Firefox's "Add ons" and clicked "Disable" and it tells me it will be Disabled after Restart, but unfortunately that's not true.

It sees numbers and puts a "Click to Call" over the numbers, making number charts unusable in some cases - charts having nothing to do with phone numbers.

How do I disable or better yet delete this unwanted hijacking garbage?

rickey731
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 11
Message 1 of 13 (13,366 Views)

Re: How do I get rid of the Skype "Click to Call" cr*pware in Firefox.

Incidentally, thanks for one of the wonderful things about Skype -

every time I reenter this forum, I have to log in again.

Really great - thanks Skype for the extra hassle.

Also no "Edit" function - probably the only forum in the year 2011 lacking this feature.

So it's extra work doing something I shouldn't have to do in the first place - getting rid of the hijacking cr*pware Skype stuck on my system without my permission or approval.

Between all of these things and the forced downloads, it feels as if Skype is trying very hard to lose customers.

What a business model.

rickey731
Reliable Adventurer
Message 2 of 13 (13,230 Views)

Tried to delete "Click to Call" from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs.

Got an error message.

Error code 2738.

Thanks for the unnecessary work, Skype.

Help would be appreciated.

rickey731
Reliable Adventurer
Message 3 of 13 (13,228 Views)

[ Edited ]

Go to bing and search for:        How To Remove Plugins From Firefox

Click on this link for instructions for removing unwanted addons:

How To Remove Plugins From FirefoxHow To Remove Plugins From Firefox

------

Also, you shouldn't be using your computer with and admin account for everyday use. Create an account with regular user privelages and use that.

If your using a non admin account you should get a popup confirmation when stuff is installed on your system. You can also change your User Acces Control (UAC) setting to require confirmation in more situations.

Amorluce
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 13 (13,223 Views)

[ Edited ]

can you try this fix first (for error 273:cool:, then proceed in removing the click and call function through the uninstall program section in the control panel;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/WINDOWS-7-FATAL-ERROR-2738/m-p/116144/message-uid/116144/highl...

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1301
Message 5 of 13 (13,219 Views)

I'd also recomend you update your Firefox browser to the lastest version, which is 6.01.

Addtionally, I strongly recommened these addons for firefox:

Adblock Plus (1.3.96)

BetterPrivacy (91.67)

Ghostery (2.6.0.1)
Redirect Remove (2.6.4)
RefControl (0.8.15)

Amorluce
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 13 (13,217 Views)

It's not a standard plugin. It has to be removed from the control panel - programs and features. And if you don't know the answer to the question ... why answer at all? blowhard.
scorenc
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 13 (13,098 Views)

When I try to uninstall skype click to call , it will start the process but then a message saying close all chrome windows before continuing. I do not have any chrome windows open  but windows seems frozen about half way through collecting required information and will not go any further. How do I get skype click to call off my computer. I do not want it.

mary_robertson1
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 13 (11,284 Views)

mary_robertson1 wrote:

When I try to uninstall skype click to call , it will start the process but then a message saying close all chrome windows before continuing. I do not have any chrome windows open  but windows seems frozen about half way through collecting required information and will not go any further. How do I get skype click to call off my computer. I do not want it.

I don’t know why, but several users have reported that it was necessary first to uninstall Chrome in order to be able to uninstall the Click-to-Call add-on.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5943
Message 9 of 13 (11,265 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype click to call plugin often break Jquery galleries, for example:

http://www.tn3gallery.com/examples/tn3_eris_horizontal/

With skype click to call plugin installed, the above album will break your firefox browser, the images are not loaded and displayed probably.

If reinstalling the plugin is does not resolve the problem, you can uninstall it.

(I reinstalled the plugin from a standalone install file (not the one bundled with skype), the galleries work fine again for now.)

iiaiiappa
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 13 (9,812 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling