How can I run two Skype accounts on the same compu...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: How can I run two Skype accounts on the same computer?

mat888 wrote:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary

is the code i've been using like i've seen in the guides and explenations buy for some reason when I try and log into the second window i get the message Disk I/O error.

I've also tried using the guide to solve the Disk I/O error and it didn't help in any way.

I can still log into the usual skype just not the secondary.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Make sure that Skype is actually not running on your PC (Quit or kill using Task Manager).

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter or OK button. Go trough the whole Skype folder (including subfolders) and delete any files starting with “temp-“ or ending with “-journal” or with extension .lock.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6911
Message 31 of 43 (504 Views)

used the above and watched vidoes and restarted many times and I get the original account to open up and that is all. It does not ask for the ID just opens up, I must have a defoult somewhere and I do not know how to unplug.

frir
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 32 of 43 (170 Views)

frir wrote:

used the above and watched vidoes and restarted many times and I get the original account to open up and that is all. It does not ask for the ID just opens up, I must have a defoult somewhere and I do not know how to unplug.

Try first to start your primary account using the original Skype desktop shortcut and then start the secondary shortcut.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 33 of 43 (166 Views)

I did exactly that and many times get the same original account.

frir
Casual Adventurer
Message 34 of 43 (161 Views)

Are you saying that you start Skype using the original shortcut which opens Skype with the primary account, and when you next start the secondary shortcut, then Skype opens with the same account already logged in?

Theoretically this should not be possible, as the same Skype account cannot be opened twice using the same Skype application, i.e. the same Skype.exe.

In any case, when you open your secondary Skype, click on the Skype menu, select Sign out and then sign in with the secondary account.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 35 of 43 (155 Views)

No, I do not have 2 open at the same time. When I click on the second shortcut, it just points to the one that is opened already. And if I sign off the secondary and click on the original shortcut it opens with the page to sign on with the secondary account showing up. I can get one or the other but not both at  the same time depending on which account I sign in with.

frir
Casual Adventurer
Message 36 of 43 (150 Views)

Please, copy and paste here the exact text you have in the Target field of the secondary shortcut.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 37 of 43 (148 Views)

frir
Casual Adventurer
Message 38 of 43 (143 Views)

Looks correct, but something is wrong:mad:. The only what I can suggest is to start from scratch.

Delete the secondary shortcut. Make sure that Skype is not running on your computer (Quit).

Open this folder on your computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\

Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut).

Right click on the newly created shortcut and select the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /secondary. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary

Click OK to save the changes.

Start your primary Skype. Next start Skype using the secondary shortcut. You should see now a login window where you can sign in with the secondary account and password. Make sure that the option “Sign me in when Skype starts” is NOT selected. It should only be selected for the primary account.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 39 of 43 (136 Views)

Thanks for sticking with me. I did as you suggested and even deleted the original shortcut I had for the original account. Ceated new one for the original account, closed Skype, repicated a shortcut with the /secondary added and still get only one signup page to showup. The second shortcut when pressed only wiggles  the page that is opened and does not bring the second signup page.  2 options to start when windows starts and when skype starts are checked off.

It does not seem to recognize the second conection as a separate sighn in. I don't know what else to do?

frir
Casual Adventurer
Message 40 of 43 (132 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling