How To Know If You Have Been Deleted by a Contact

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

How To Know If You Have Been Deleted by a Contact

[ Edited ]

I.  If you have been deleted by a person from their contact list, you will not be able to see their online status and mood message.  So when you check their name in your contact list, what you will see is the gray Skype icon with a question mark inside.

the image

II.  When you open their IM/Call window, you will see the This Contact Has Not Shared Their Contact Details With You notification.

the image

III.  When you hover the cursor over their name in the View Profile window, you will not be able to see their Last Seen information.  Instead, the notification This Contact Has Not Shared Their Contact Details With You will also be displayed.

the image

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1255
Message 1 of 13 (92,387 Views)

Re: How To Know If You Have Been Deleted by a Contact

If you message someone who has deleted you on skype, can they see the message?

raspberry-chaos
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 13 (90,085 Views)

Yes. They can.

chervenokoska6
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 13 (89,732 Views)

they will only receive the IM only if they have set their privacy option to accept IM from anyone
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 410
Message 4 of 13 (89,706 Views)

This was definitely true for me a few months ago. I would see a grey icon with "This person has not shared their details with you" when I have been deleted by a contact.

That person added me back for awhile but blocked me, and then deleted me again a couple of months ago. But this time, I keep seeing that person as "Offline" even as I am 100% sure that I have been deleted from their contact list.

How I can be so sure, is that when I go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Blocked contacts, under the drop-down list which says "You can prevent a person from contacting you by selecting from the list below", I only see the other contacts, and not that person's name.

For someone who treats a friend this way it's surely for the better that the contact is off my list, but the fact that Skype has such inconsistencies is really bothering me, along with other issues I've heard. Why would people prefer this program?

inuk
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 13 (87,780 Views)

whether a contact appears on your contact list or not has nothing to do with whether you are on someone else's contact list

you can select people from your own contact list to be blocked -- and this says nothing about whether you were either blocked or deleted from someone else's contact list
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 13 (87,777 Views)

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the clarification. However, this person has always been on my contact list. I can block them by right-clicking on their contact, but if I try do the same from the Options window as mentioned, I don't see their name in the drop-down. I wasn't trying to block that person, but it was just an observation that I made. I guessed if I'm no longer on someone's list then I would not be able to block them? Would your reasoning be that when someone has been deleted, the deleted contact may not always see the grey icon?

inuk
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 13 (87,742 Views)

[ Edited ]

whether you are on someone's contact list or not has ZERO to do with whether you can Block them

when you see the grey question mark as status for someone that you were formerly able to see their online status (and non-public profile details), all it means is that you are no longer authorized by that user, and this occurs when you are Deleted from that user's contact list

seeing the grey question mark as status does NOT tell you that you were Blocked -- if you had ONLY been Blocked, you would constantly see OFFLINE as that contact's status and you would still be able to see non-public details for that contact

the list that you see in Options (where you can select a Skype Name to Block), only seems to be displaying contacts with whom you have had recent contact

presumably the user you wish to contact will be someone with whom you have recent contact, but if not, then you can Block that user by right-clicking on their name on your Contact List

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 13 (87,735 Views)

I experimented before with my other user account, and observed the same issue as with said blocker/deleter. But then if like you said the drop-down menu only displays recent mutual contacts (since I couldn't have been sending messages to myself) then perhaps you are right. I can't see why Skype would have done that though. Thanks anyway!

inuk
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 13 (87,593 Views)

the dropdown list on the Blocked Contacts panel in Privacy Options, displays contacts that you have been in touch with recently

the assumption is that it is highly likely that you have recently been in contact with the user you wish to block, but that was apparently NOT the case the particular contact you mentioned -- for that user, you could still right-click on them on your contact list and select block

by the way, although it is a bit convoluted, there IS a method by which you can block a user that is NOT on your contact list and who does not appear on that dropdown list in options
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 10 of 13 (87,573 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling