Hideous / Spiky latency going beyond text based ch...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Hideous / Spiky latency going beyond text based chat.

its been happening to me now for a good few weeks ... i video call my girlfriend every night when i get back from work, sometimes at the weekend and also before i go to work if she isnt busy.

latency goes up and down faster than a tarts nickers on payday ... my router is brand-new, my laptop has virtually nothing installed on it save for skype and a handful of games, the skype install is not more than 2 months old.

my ISP is East Link and im connecting from Alberta, Canada, to Cincinnati, KY.

its impossible to just have an audio only call at times, even with one sided video - voice frequently drops in quality drastically then; skype tells me that my 20mbit connection is too slow for video, and it then tells me that its lost my call.

sometimes it drops entirely, others we both just sound garbled and the video drops to a slideshow for several seconds.

the times im video calling im the only person using my connection, my flatmate does torrent, but he turns it off as soon as he hits the hey, leaving my laptop the entirety of the connection ... its routered and firewalled and both the router and my laptop have exceptions for skype, remote admin is disabled and only my desktop can configure the router. (some sort of mac lockout on other machines)

ive traced the link to the servers skype connects through and both of them are none too healthy, if the traces are to be believed then this issue is outside of East Link's Durastiction which ends @ hop 4.

tyriael-soban
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (526 Views)

Re: Hideous / Spiky latency going beyond text based chat.

What version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

Same question for your girl friend....what version is she running?

Are you on wifi or a wired connection?

How about your girl friend?   Wired or wifi?

20 mb/s is more than enough download for video (assuming it's not getting saturated by your roomie's torrent download) but upload is important too.  What results do you get with a test at www.speedtest.net ?   Upload, download and ping?  What does your girlfriend get?

On a one-to-one Skype call, the connection should be peer-to-peer so a Skype server wouldn't be involved in the latency of your call.

Next time you're on a call, click on Call > Call Technical Info.  Copy and paste the results here. That may shed some light on where the problem lies.

Oh...Cincinnati is in Ohio, not Kentucky.  :wink:

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 855
Message 2 of 12 (487 Views)

technically shes in a suburb of cini, but its on the KY side of the boarder if you wanna be specific.

my skype version is the latest, im not sure about hers.

my lappie is wireless, my desktop is not ... the desktop dosnt have a webcam and still gets the same issues.

the router is less than 3 meters away from me.

shes on a wired link.

and as previously mentioned the flatmates torrents are off at night or i gank the ethranet cable from the modem and still experience the same issues.

speedtest.net gives me 5-6mbps download and 0.5-1.0 upload, ping is 55 ms (connecting to calgary) (this result was achieved after multiple unbelievable retests)

hers sat at 76 ping, 10mbps down and 1.5 up

tyriael-soban
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (481 Views)

Y'know, the reason I ask for the specific version of Skype is because I've lost count of the number of times someone thought and said they had "the latest" and they didn't. 

Check your actual version and ask her what version she has.   If either is not 5.8.0.158, update via this link:  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Try Call Technical Info next time you're on a call.  Let's see if that shows anything useful.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 12 (478 Views)

5.8.59.158 version for both of us ... theres alot of technical jargon that im not totally familar with on the call information what in particular am i looking for?

other than the hideous packet loss and latency when i turn video on.

tyriael-soban
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (458 Views)

tyriael-soban wrote:

theres alot of technical jargon that im not totally familar with on the call information what in particular am i looking for?

other than the hideous packet loss and latency when i turn video on.

That's why I suggested you  copy and paste the call tech info results here.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 12 (453 Views)

Basic
Conversation ObjectId=8402
Conversation identity=[withheld]
Status=3
Premium Status=0
Host=tyriael-soban
InVol=88
OutVol=100
ParticipantCount=2
BW (avg/60sec): upload=43 kBps
BW (avg/60sec): download=107 kBps

tyriael-soban
Identity=tyriael-soban
Status=7
Video Status=4
Problems=
Video debug (43083)=; media = 0; status = 4; error =

[withheld]
Identity=[withheld]
ObjID=43021
Codec=SILK_V3
Jitter=90
Sample rates=e-8000, d-24000
Packet loss=0.0% (0)
Send packet loss=53.1%/262.5%
Recv packet loss=0.0%/0.0%
Roundtrip=186 ms
NBM=audio 949 / 60 ms video 625 corr 0%
SessionOut=UDP (946468 packets)
SessionIn=UDP (1757267 packets)
Relays=4
UDP status=local:Good remote:Good
CPU usage=25.8% 19.0% hicc:0
Remote UI version=0/5.8.59.158//
Video capture=Res: 640x480, Color: 32595559, CamFPS: 15, ReqFPS: 30, HwEnc: 0, Power: 1, QTokens: 0
video send stream 0 (l)=ID: 0, Type: 0/0, Res: 640x480, Codec: VP80, FPS 7, Speed: 1/1, Bitrate: 222/5, TargetFPS: 8/8, CPU: 29, CpuFPS: 22/18, ReceiverFPS: 80/29/30, Mtu: 1340
video send stream 1=not started.
video send stream 2=not started.
video send stream 3=not started.
video send stream 4=not started.
[withheld]'s video recv=Res: 640x480, Color: 30323449, FPS: 10, QTokens: 0, PRmax: 1366x1020, Scr: 1366x768, ScrPh: 0x0, Delay: 3533/34939
ID=0, Type: 0/0, Res: 640x480, Codec: VP80, FPS 10/10, Bitrate: 614, Caps: 120/163
Status=7
Video Status=4
Problems=
Video debug (43147)=; media = 0; status = 4; error =

That massive packet loss trades place throughout a call between sent and recieved packets.

tyriael-soban
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (449 Views)

Hmmmm.   There isn't anything in that tech info besides the packet loss itself, and the latency, to explain why they're so high.   I would suspect wifi but since you say your girl is on a wired connection and when you are it doesn't help, that shoots down that idea.

Is your Internet serivice Cable or DSL, or....?  How about hers?

Since you use a laptop, can you try another location with another ISP?  A friend's house?  Or a wifi hotspot?  

It may be helpful if you could pin down that the problem is at your end or her end of the call.  It could be either or your ISP's that's having the problem but without knowing which one you probably wouldn't have any luck complaining to either. 

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 12 (447 Views)

shes wired, im wireless ... but the problem still persists when i gank the cable from my desktop, even going without the router still yields packet loss.

a wifi hotspot is a no no cause i live in the middle of nowhere.

pretty much everyone round here runs on the same isp as me >.<

tyriael-soban
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (440 Views)

Ok, then do you have the same problem with other contacts or just your girlfriend? And does she see the same symptoms with others or just with you?

Posted from Apple iPad
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 12 (433 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling