Help!!! Skype can't connect!!! I've tried everythi...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Help!!! Skype can't connect!!! I've tried everything

My laptop is a Dell Atitude E4300 with Windows XP Professional. It is my work computer. Skype worked fine until I uninstalled it from home. When I wanted to reinstall it, the program nevers works for long. I get the spinning icon and the Skype Can't Connect message. I get the Skype Home Is Not Available message. I have downloaded the Beta Version 5.5, which worked for awhile, then crashed, and I had to reinstall the program. It worked again, for less than an hour, when suddenly I was no longer connected.

I tried resetting Internet Explorer to default settings, installed the latest version over the current version, successfully logged into Skype from another computer. My firewall is turned off. I turned off the compatability mode. A couple times, I could connect to Skype, but each time I had to reinstall the program. I completely uninstalled Skype (deleting all files from the C: drive) then reinstalled, which worked, until the laptop was put in Standby mode. In order to open Skype, I had to reinstall over the reinstall.

I tried resetting all Skype settings. No luck.

Ruwim suggested there might be a problem with a special internet security program or AntiVirus. I don't know how to check this. I've been working on this problem for two weeks now, reading all the posts, and I need experts!

A few times, I have gotten this message as I tried to reinstall: "Can't focus a disabled or invisible window." Does anyone know what this means?

HELP! 

I don't know what else to try! Help!

monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (2,024 Views)

Re: Help!!! Skype can't connect!!! I've tried everything

monicabergers wrote:

My laptop is a Dell Atitude E4300 with Windows XP Professional. It is my work computer. Skype worked fine until I uninstalled it from home. When I wanted to reinstall it, the program nevers works for long. I get the spinning icon and the Skype Can't Connect message. I get the Skype Home Is Not Available message. I have downloaded the Beta Version 5.5, which worked for awhile, then crashed, and I had to reinstall the program. It worked again, for less than an hour, when suddenly I was no longer connected.

I tried resetting Internet Explorer to default settings, installed the latest version over the current version, successfully logged into Skype from another computer. My firewall is turned off. I turned off the compatability mode. A couple times, I could connect to Skype, but each time I had to reinstall the program. I completely uninstalled Skype (deleting all files from the C: drive) then reinstalled, which worked, until the laptop was put in Standby mode. In order to open Skype, I had to reinstall over the reinstall.

I tried resetting all Skype settings. No luck.

Ruwim suggested there might be a problem with a special internet security program or AntiVirus. I don't know how to check this. I've been working on this problem for two weeks now, reading all the posts, and I need experts!

A few times, I have gotten this message as I tried to reinstall: "Can't focus a disabled or invisible window." Does anyone know what this means?

HELP! 

I don't know what else to try! Help!

Please try installing over what you have now with this:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 587
Message 2 of 12 (1,937 Views)

Thank you! This worked, but how do I keep it from crashing if it does? I've already reinstalled this morning with success and then had it crash. You rock, UberOverLord!
monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (1,924 Views)

monicabergers wrote:
Thank you! This worked, but how do I keep it from crashing if it does? I've already reinstalled this morning with success and then had it crash. You rock, UberOverLord!

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

Well, if it crashes again, please do this and post back:

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 587
Message 4 of 12 (1,922 Views)

Will do. Thank you!!!!!!!
monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (1,910 Views)

It crashed again! This is the menu of errors I found:

Application Error Records 4.0 MB

Security Audit Records 4.0 MB

System Error Records 4.0 MB

Internet Explorer  Custom Log Error Records

When I clicked on the System Error, I found this:

No Domain Controller is available for domain HEALTHCARE due to the following:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .

Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

Error 12:19 PM AutoEnrollment

Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b).  The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Enrollment will not be performed.

Details

Product:

Windows Operating System

ID:

Source:

AutoEnrollment

Version:

Symbolic Name:

EVENT_FAIL_BIND_TO_DS

Automatic certificate enrollment for %1 failed to contact the active directory (%2). %3 Enrollment will not be performed.

Explanation

Autoenrollment starts every time Group Policy is updated or when a user logs on to Windows. Each time autoenrollment starts, it tries to contact the Active Directory directory service. This event, Autoenrollment 15, is logged when autoenrollment fails to contact Active Directory. If the computer cannot contact Active Directory, for example when a laptop computer is not connected to the corporate network, this event appears in the Event Viewer. This is expected and normal.

User Action

If the computer does not currently have connectivity to Active Directory, then no user action is required. If the event is repeatedly generated after the computer has established a connection to Active Directory, verify that the computer can receive Group Policy updates by using the Gpupdate.exe command-line utility. For more information about the Gpupdate.exe command-line utility, see Help and Support.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message.

When Skype crashed earlier this morning, this was the error:

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 120 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 120 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

HELP!

monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 12 (1,875 Views)

I work remotely with a laptop (using a remote desktop). When I go to my office, I connect into a hospital server with a phone jack. I wonder if the problem is when I uninstalled Skype from home (on a wireless connection) and reinstalled Skype from the hospital server.

This is a problem I've had: disabling the wireless connection while at work (connected to the healthcare server), and then getting home and trying to reactivate, but being unable to. Help UberOverLord! (I feel like I'm talking to Obi-Wan...)
monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (1,872 Views)

This is what happened when my computer was shutting down:

The description for Event ID ( 105 ) in Source ( dcfssvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gupdate ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service stopped.

McShield service started.

TheSecurityCenterservice has been stopped.  It was prevented from running by a software group policy.

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b).  The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Enrollment will not be performed.

Engine version : 5400.1158

DAT version : 6512.0000

Number of signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None

Names of threats that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None

These are the errors that occurred when the system rebooted:

Could not execute the following script NewChangeCitrix.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script setdefaultprinter.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script NewChangeCitrix.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script setdefaultprinter.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

. Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

Product:

Windows Operating System

ID:

Source:

Userenv

Version:

Symbolic Name:

EVENT_FAILED_DSNAME

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (%1). Group Policy processing aborted.

Explanation

A network connectivity or configuration problem exists. Group Policy settings cannot be applied until the problem is fixed.

User Action

To troubleshoot the network connectivity or configuration problem, try one or all of the following:

• In Event Viewer, click System, and check for any networking-related messages, such as Netlogon messages, that indicate a network connectivity issue.
  • At the command prompt, type netdiag, and note any errors. Those errors usually have to be resolved before Group Policy processing can continue.
  • At the command prompt, type gpupdate, and then check Event Viewer to see if the Userenv 1054 event is logged again.
  • To verify that the domain controller can be contacted through Domain Name System (DNS), try to access \\mydomain.com\sysvol\mydomain.com, where mydomain.com is the fully qualified DNS name of your domain.
  • Verify that you can access the domain controller by using tools such as the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
  • Check to see whether other computers on your network are having the same problem.
  • If this computer is a part of a cross-forest domain, verify that the forest for the user account is currently available and can be contacted by the computer on which the Group Policy processing failed.

Could not execute the following script Pluto.exe. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script HCISScriptScanEx.EXE. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script SetDefaultAdmins.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script MigratePrinters.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script RemoveListofAdmins.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

. Could not execute the following script NewDataShift-LocalAdmin.vbs. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script PASSPROP.exe. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could not execute the following script Redraw.exe. The system cannot find the file specified.

SYSTEM ERROR:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{24FF4FDC-1D9F-4195-8C79-0DA39248FF48}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-1:cool:.  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 12 (1,855 Views)

Okay, I've updated Windows and Adobe (only two I could think of that I use regularly). I'm not sure what the Errors are telling me--can you decipher?

Thanks!!!!!

monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (1,816 Views)

UberOverLord, I forwarded the errors from rebooting to a computer tech at work, and he said maybe I need to reimage my computer. Does this sound like it might help?

monicabergers
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 12 (1,777 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling