Fatal Error: Failed to get proc address for GetLog...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Fatal Error: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)

Fatal Error: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)

I new update came and I proceeded.. than I got this error?
I am running XP Professional -service pack2
What is the reason to get this error? May be I should not update skype.. is there a older version of Skype to download?

paledian
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 37 (405,644 Views)

Re: Fatal Error: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)

I was just loading the latest version of Skype on an old XP box and received the same error.... I was on XP-SP2 and just downloaded and upgraded to XP-SP3...  The error went away.

Steve_LCM
Tourist
Message 2 of 37 (405,527 Views)

Re: Fatal Error: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)

XP SP2 has not been supported by Microsoft for quite some time already

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 272
Message 3 of 37 (405,171 Views)

I just updated and got this error too. Whenever I try to update to SP3 I get the blue screen of death upon startup. Are ya forcing me to upgrade to 7? And don't give me any of that windows 8 **bleep**! I will NEVER use it!

MichaelCatus
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 37 (405,162 Views)

you need to sort out the problem upgrading to SP3 and here is not the place to do that
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 272
Message 5 of 37 (405,140 Views)

Before it was MS everything was fine... now it is Microsoft and complications started! complete bull.. Skype was fine as it was!
I looked for 6.6 at Skype site of course there was none.. so I went and downloaded 6.6 and everything is working fine! İf all goes crazy like this I am planning to close Skype and use hangouts.

paledian
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 37 (404,747 Views)

...same error...

Ivancica
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 59
Message 7 of 37 (404,706 Views)

I got the same problem. So if our XP is too old the installation should stop and say XP is too old. Not crash and we have problems to install an older versions.

Mats.Odman
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 37 (403,828 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype does clearly state XP SP3 in their minimum requirements: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328

So while it may be overlooked in the program, it's not like that information is hidden.  The call the program makes does not naively exist in XP SP2 or below, thus the error leading to the halt in execution.

XP SP3 was release over 5 years ago (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24).  It is rather wise to install it to be compliant with any applications made to date as well as any .NET framework versions availabe for even more compatibility.  I personally install all the updates available from windowsupdate so that I don't run into issues.

As long as you have enough hard drive space,  and don't have corrupt files or odd add-on hardware/driver incompatibles.  Service Pack 3 should install rather easily.  Two basic things that can repair any software-related problems with the Service Pack upgrade without going into vast detail.

1.  System file checker.   Dropping down to a command box and typing in:  sfc /scannow

This can help you repair problems with your OS that may allow you to install the Service Pack afterward.

2.  Windows Repair -  Using the Windows XP install CD and doing a Windows repair will basically allow you to semi-install windows on top of itself, replacing all your major system files with originals.  You can then try to install Service Pack 3.  In some cases you may need to install SP1 beforehand.  (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19751)

So if you're struggling making your system compliant, hopefully this information will put you a step in the right direction.  In reality if you can install every windowsupdate until there are no updates left, you should be able to execute Skype.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1502
Message 9 of 37 (403,625 Views)

[ Edited ]

Deleted post

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6358
Message 10 of 37 (396,090 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling