Fatal Error During Installation on Windows7

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Fatal Error During Installation on Windows7

Hi folks I just got a new laptop and went to install Skype on it.  I am running Windows7 32bit and keep getting the above error message. 

on my old laptop (was running WindowsXP and I upgraded to Windows7) Skype loaded and installed and ran just fine.  Having problems and can't seem to figure out what the issue is.  All of my Microsoft patches seem up to date.  Anyone have any ideas..?

mario66
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (4,623 Views)

Re: Fatal Error During Installation on Windows7

Can you please try to install the current beta release, without uninstalling what you have from Skype.com.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 10 (4,623 Views)

Still get the same error after I installed the Beta Version.

Any other ideas..?

mario66
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (4,619 Views)

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

If the above does not work using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs please uninstall Skype, when prompted to delete your Skype history, please choose to keep it.

Please try to download the beta version again from Skype.com

Any difference?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 10 (4,617 Views)

Hi everybody,

I'm running under Windows 7 64bits and I'm facing this issue as well : "Fatal error during the installation".

The error is raised when I click on the Skype icon which is placed on my desktop after having executed the Setup.exe. A window is displayed and says "Please wait while windows is configuring Skype 5.5". Then it starts a second time and then the "Fatal Errorduring the installation" appears.

When clicking Skype from the Start Menu, nothing happens.

Could you please advise?

Thanks!

etibat
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (4,554 Views)

Did you follow the hints given above? (Disabling Compatibility mode especially)

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13459
Message 6 of 10 (4,550 Views)

Hi Claudius,

Yes, I made sure that the Compatiblity mode was disabled.

I tried to Downlad / re-install several times, but error is still here...

Any other advise?

Thanks.

etibat
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (4,542 Views)

If you are usng Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 10 (4,540 Views)

Hi,

My problem is likely coming from McAfee:

Looking at the event log after a new installation of Skype, I start to see two Warning messages which source is Msi Installer stating:

"Detection of product '{AA59DDE4-B672-4621-A016-4C248204957A}', feature 'Phone', component '{57FF4446-590E-4894-AE39-D55928DBDE01}' failed.  The resource 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe' does not exist."

and 

"Detection of product '{AA59DDE4-B672-4621-A016-4C248204957A}', feature 'Phone' failed during request for component '{57FF4446-590E-4894-AE39-D55928DBDE01}'"

Then I have an error message which source is McLogEvent saying:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe was detected using user defined detection settings, deleted after clean failed."

My laptop is a profesional one, and I don't have any access to McAfee's configuration, not much I can do probably. I'll check with IT.

Thanks for your help!

etibat
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (4,515 Views)

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 10 (4,512 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling