Exiting From Skype so that it is no longer running

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Exiting From Skype so that it is no longer running

Since the last recent update there is no longer an option to exit from Skype, unless the Task Manager is used to terminate the process.  Is there a way to make exiting as simple as the previous version provided with an its exit menu?

rdrines
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (293 Views)

Re: Exiting From Skype so that it is no longer running

[ Edited ]

The correct way to close Skype is to right click on the Skype icon in the system tray / notification area and then click Quit.

quit.jpg

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 926
Message 2 of 5 (287 Views)

I had the same problen with level 5.5.0.xxx.  When I updated to the latesr level, the Quit option appeared.

rosemartmn
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 5 (281 Views)

This was a good hint. Windows 7 puts the Change Status in its disappearing window, but it had the Quit option. Thanks for the lead, it is faster than chasing it with Task Manager.

With this issue settled, I can't help but wonder why it was changed. Adding it elsewhere would have been good if it wasn't removed from where it was for years.
rdrines
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (267 Views)

Hey....why Skype UI designers do what they do is one of the mysteries of the universe. 

But I can tell you that closing Skype via the Quit option can prevent problems in the future.  Using Task Manager to end the process can cause file corruption, leftover temp files, etc. etc., that can lead to trouble.

I'm not sure what you meant by it's disappearing Window.   If the Skype icon isn't always present in your notification area and you want it to be, click on the up arrow in the left hand corner of the area, then click Customize, and set Skype to "Show icon and notifications."   You can also do the same thing via Control Panel > Notification Area Icons.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 926
Message 5 of 5 (265 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling