Error: Skype Corrupt

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Error: Skype Corrupt

Been trying to install Skype on a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine with all OS and driver updates installed and up to date.

Upon completing installation and whenever trying to run Skype, I simply get an error stating "Error: Unfortunately the Skype executable is corrupted. Please re-install". I have done clean installs with the full installer, the business installer, using admin privileges, open firewall, all the various compatibility modes in Win7, etc... and all yield the same result.

I have had this issue for quite some time and had originally gotten around it by using an ancient version of Skype that does not have this issue for me. I would very much like to come back out of the stoneage and use a modern version.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

maustin
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 20 (18,205 Views)

Re: Error: Skype Corrupt

maustin wrote:

Been trying to install Skype on a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine with all OS and driver updates installed and up to date.

Upon completing installation and whenever trying to run Skype, I simply get an error stating "Error: Unfortunately the Skype executable is corrupted. Please re-install". I have done clean installs with the full installer, the business installer, using admin privileges, open firewall, all the various compatibility modes in Win7, etc... and all yield the same result.

I have had this issue for quite some time and had originally gotten around it by using an ancient version of Skype that does not have this issue for me. I would very much like to come back out of the stoneage and use a modern version.

Please follow the "Error 1603" instructions located here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Install-Issues-Check/td-p/156736

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 2 of 20 (18,194 Views)

maustin wrote:

Please look at this old thread. There are some quite interesting ideas about your problem

forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=758903

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6327
Message 3 of 20 (18,188 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found the problem thanks to the thread you listed, ruwim =).
I have a program I use to track computer usage by the kids. Disabling it when I try to use Skype seems to be fixing the problem.

Thank you!

maustin
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 20 (18,179 Views)

Can you tell me the solution directly since the thread ruwim mentioned isn't available already?

Thanks.

TKH258
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 20 (16,391 Views)

I found the solution. Change the Preferred Graphic Processor to Auto Select in your Nvidia Control Panel. Cheers!
TKH258
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 20 (16,384 Views)

Please I need your help, I have a new laptop, and am having difficulty in downloading the skype, this is the message i do get after downloading, 'the installer has encountered an unexcpted error installing this package. This may indicates a problem with this package. The error code is 2738' Pls, I need help on how to fix this problem. Thanks
sadedoyin
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 20 (15,734 Views)

sadedoyin wrote:
Please I need your help, I have a new laptop, and am having difficulty in downloading the skype, this is the message i do get after downloading, 'the installer has encountered an unexcpted error installing this package. This may indicates a problem with this package. The error code is 2738' Pls, I need help on how to fix this problem. Thanks

Your problem is very different from what is the subject of this thread. Start a new topic and provide these details:

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Steps-to-creating-a-new-thread-topic/td-p/13748

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6327
Message 8 of 20 (15,720 Views)

Thank you so much TKH258 for your solution.

Worked perfectly !

TKH258 wrote:
I found the solution. Change the Preferred Graphic Processor to Auto Select in your Nvidia Control Panel. Cheers!

Shav
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 20 (14,448 Views)

hello, my problem is my Dell XPS equivalent and has 1 GB Video Card and an integrated on board which I use with skype for q I put the version problem, thanks.
Duallmax
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 20 (13,481 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling