Error 2738 & other issues

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Error 2738 & other issues

Hi, i've had skype for years and never had a problem with it but i recently installed Windows 7 and am now having issues but i don't know if they're related as it was working fine until today. I was trying to uninstall the Click to Call feature as i don't need it but it keeps coming up with this **bleep** error 2738. I don't understand why i can't simply uninstall this feature. I then tried to log on to Skype but when i click to sign in it opens up a web browser page that says 'index of file'?! I've uninstalled n reinstalled Skype but this doesn't fix anything and i've downloaded that Microsoft Fix It program but i don't understand what i'm supposed to do with it since it doesn't seem to do anything.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could please give me some step by step instructions as to how to:

a) Get past the 2738 error and uninstall Click to Call.

b) Get Skype up and running again.

Thanks.

CrazyGoran
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (10,989 Views)

Re: Error 2738 & other issues

Most likely you are one of the many happy Skype users who are experiencing all the benefits of getting their Skype upgraded to the new version (5.5). Skype 5.5 and later depends heavily on Internet Explorer and Microsoft Scripting Engine. In particular, the install/uninstall procedure of Click to Call requires functioning VBscript and Skype login requires Internet Explorer being able to access JavaScript. There are currently 54 different threads on this community forum dealing with this issue. In some cases the Fix It procedure from support.microsoft.com/kb/949140 can fix this problem but not always. There is never only one “true” method which will resolve the issue. Here are few examples of the current threads dealing with this problem.

/t5/Windows/Skype-5-5-0-112-not-working/m-p/47182#M5158/t5/Windows/Skype-5-5-0-112-not-working/m-p/4...
/t5/Windows/i-get-this-when-i-login-file-C-ProgramData-Skype-Apps-login/td-p/105790/t5/Welcome/Index-of-C-ProgramData-Skype-Apps-login/td-p/107030
/t5/Windows/Skype-Log-in-it-s-jump-to-browser-win7/m-p/232202/message-uid/232202#U232202
/t5/General-Discussion/Not-letting-me-sign-in/m-p/232224/message-uid/232224#U232224
/t5/Windows/Unable-to-log-in-after-upgrading/td-p/158984/page/2
/t5/Windows/Can-t-start-Skype-on-Windows-7-Dell-Inspiron-N5110/m-p/232956/message-uid/232956#U232956
/t5/Welcome/Can-t-sign-on/m-p/233662/message-uid/233662#U233662

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7082
Message 2 of 7 (10,916 Views)

Cheers, i've ended up just sticking the old version of Skype back on. As for uninstalling Click to Call, i don't know how to get a functioning VBscript so it looks like i'm stuck with it for the mo.

I don't know why huge problems like this don't get sorted before they put the update out. They need to realise that not everyone wants to use Internet Explorer.

CrazyGoran
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (10,911 Views)

How do I install the older version 5.0

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 941
Message 4 of 7 (10,736 Views)

CrazyGoran wrote:

Cheers, i've ended up just sticking the old version of Skype back on. As for uninstalling Click to Call, i don't know how to get a functioning VBscript so it looks like i'm stuck with it for the mo.

I don't know why huge problems like this don't get sorted before they put the update out. They need to realise that not everyone wants to use Internet Explorer.

Concerning the 2738 error, you may want to see this thread:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Community-feedback/Error-code-2738-after-install/m-p/260502/message-ui...

For some more general considerations about not being able to use the new login screen and the possible solutions, see this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Can-t-login-Redirected-to-C-ProgramData-Skype-Apps-login/td-p/...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 7082
Message 5 of 7 (10,733 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please visit the thread below for instructions and suggestions on how to deal with such activities;

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Index-of-file-C-ProgramData-Skype-Apps-login-Solution/m-p/4243...

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Error-Code-2738-When-trying-to-install-Skype-Solution/m-p/4246...

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6518
Message 6 of 7 (9,287 Views)

Spooky! I've just spotted this post minutes after putting a solution for the Error 2738 onto Youtube.

Not sure if anyone on here is still having problems - if so it may be worth a look.

geoffowen
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (6,976 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling