Downloading Skype software on a second computer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Downloading Skype software on a second computer

I want my Skype account to be availalbe on my second laptop, but I'm not sure how to download the proper software. If I use the standard download option, it assumes I'm not already enrolled. Thanks.

This widget could not be displayed.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Use this link to download then run the full installer:  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

When the install is complete you'll be able to signin with your existing Skype name and password.

View solution in original post
victorag
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (2,501 Views)

Re: Downloading Skype software on a second computer

Use this link to download then run the full installer:  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

When the install is complete you'll be able to signin with your existing Skype name and password.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 905
Message 2 of 8 (2,494 Views)

Thanks.
victorag
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (2,486 Views)

:(y):

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 905
Message 4 of 8 (2,484 Views)

HI! I've installed skype in my 2nd laptop using the instructions given on this and was able to login using my account, problem is i can't see my contact'profiles and my messages to and from them does not show, even their profile picture doesn't show. But their names are listed in my contacts box. Please help.

storm201109
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (2,093 Views)

related questtion: how do I export messages from my old pc to my new one?
Sir48
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (1,992 Views)

storm201109 wrote:

HI! I've installed skype in my 2nd laptop using the instructions given on this and was able to login using my account, problem is i can't see my contact'profiles and my messages to and from them does not show, even their profile picture doesn't show. But their names are listed in my contacts box. Please help.

The contacts profile pictures may showup after you and the particular contacts are Online on Skype at the same time.

The old messages will however not appear on your new computer. They are only stored locally on the old computer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 5950
Message 7 of 8 (1,877 Views)

Sir48 wrote:
related questtion: how do I export messages from my old pc to my new one?

If you want see the whole conversation history on Skype installed on another PC then you must do the following.

Make sure that Skype is not running.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype and press Enter or the OK button. This will open a window with a Skype folder. Within this folder locate a subfolder with name corresponding to your Skype name. Open this folder. You will find there a file with name main.db. It may have just have a name “main” if your PC is setup to not show extensions for known file types but you will still see description “Data Base File” in the Type column. Copy this main.db file to any removable storage, like e.g. an USB flash drive or CD and transfer it to the corresponding folder on your other PC. You will now be able to see the whole call history from the old Skype installation on the new installation.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 5950
Message 8 of 8 (1,869 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling