08-02-2012 05:16 - edited 08-02-2012 05:33
--Skip below to SOLUTION if you know what problem i'm talking about---
Hi! So recently I had to reinstall my windows 7 cuz i got a fun virus that crashed my computer. After reinstalling the latest version of Skype, i came across this really ennoying problem. It came up like this:
I'm sitting here just watching youtube videos while using headphones for audio. Then somebody sends me a message on skype, and for the 2-3 seconds that the skype message notice sound plays, the youtube audio sound plays through the computer's speaker phones instead of my headphones! only the message notice plays in my headphones. This didn't bother me until somebody called me. I realized that while skype calling, the only audio that comes through my audio headphones is the skype call. My music from windows media, my youtube video, and all windows alert sounds all play through my computer's speakers, which is extremely ennoying because 1-music sounds better through good headphones, and 2- everybody around me is forced to listen to my music while i'm calling on skype.
So after digging around in this support forum, i found a lot of interesting stuff, but not a solution to this problem. as it turns out, a lot of people share my problem, but don't know how to fix it. I found something that works for my general case. If you're using something other than your computer speakers, when you skype call, the call goes into your external audio, (eg. headphones, earphones), while everything else goes through your computer's internal speakers. If this is your problem, then I might be able to help!
There are just a few simple steps to do this:
1) Plug in whatever external audio you're using. (headphones, earphones)
2) Open Skype
3) Go to "Tools" on your top toolbar, (it's right of Skype, Contacts, Conversation, etc)
4) Go to "Options" (bottom of the dropdown)
5) Go to "Audio Settings" (below General Settings on the left column)
6) For the dropdown bar next to "Speakers", there should be 2 options. "Speakers/Headphones" or "Independent (R.T.C)" (this second option varies based on computer/OS)
7) Select the "Speakers/Headphones" option for the "Speakers" dropdown bar.
8. Right under that is a box that says "Automatically adjust speaker settings" Make sure it is unchecked.
9) For the "Ringing" dropdown bar, select the option for "Use Selected Speaker"
10) Save your settings! You're done
Thank you, it works with a few modifications to your original post.
In the advance tab, I downgrade the speakers and move the headset into the first position.
Thank you again for the solution of that noisy problem.
unfortunately this didn't fix it for me. Also tried the Advanced Tab suggestion.
While listening to music via Spotify, every time I'm getting a notification (sound) music is coming through the notebook speakers and annoys my co-workers.
Not working for me either. Tried all the suggestions, butnotifications play through my laptop speaker anytime my headset is plugged in.
But if i have the opposite problem: for my online lessons via skype I need to play audio files and the person I have conversation with shoul hear this audio tape. Now it does not work.
What should I do then?
I tried that and have come to the conclusion that it's related to notification sounds than the actually program itself :
1 - Access Tools>Options>Notifications>Sounds
2 - you can chose "Mute all" or chose to mute the knocking sound which is related to the actual : IM Received sound
That's all..The other option is to change the whole sound-set to something of your own accord or a nullsound file and it will produce the same result