Does Skype override my laptop sleep settings?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Does Skype override my laptop sleep settings?

I have a new Lenovo X220 laptop and use Lenovo Power Manager to manage my sleep settings. Normally, the computer will go to sleep when I close the lid, or after 25 minutes (when plugged in). If Skype is running in the background, will it override these settings? Can I close my lid and still get calls? Or do I need to enable presentation mode where timers are disabled?

Sorry if these have been answered before...could not find info in search.

lectrolink
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (2,010 Views)

Re: Does Skype override my laptop sleep settings?

Bump
lectrolink
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 5 (1,930 Views)

Not having used Lenovo Power Manager before but understanding that it's a front-end for most of the same things Windows already does, I'd have to say "no" to the first question. On the second question, what have you assigned lid closing to do?  In most cases, that sleeps the machine, so in that case Skype won't be running in the background. Presentation mode?  Is this a reference to Windows Mobility Center?

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 101
Message 3 of 5 (1,926 Views)

I have assigned lid close to make the laptop sleep. Presentation mode is a Lenovo power profile that disables timers so that the laptop will not go to sleep in the midst of a presentation.
So it sounds like if I want to be able to receive Skype calls anytime, I must prevent the computer from going to sleep. Hmmm, sounds kinda like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'... must...not...sleep!
lectrolink
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 5 (1,922 Views)

Right, and that's probably not something you want to do, particularly if you're on battery most of the time. Maybe a better bet would be one of the so-called "Skype phones," or a solution independent of Skype, like the Cisco PAP2T-NA Voip box.

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 101
Message 5 of 5 (1,919 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling