Disk I/O error

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Disk I/O error

Hi there,

I experienced several times now the following error: Disk I/O error - skype closed unexpected in a conversation or I was unable to log on. I restarted Skype as requested, but it didn't help. So...what shall I do? 

My computer is running under windows 7 and I am using Skype 5.3.0.120.

Cheers,

Astrid

sportfreundin_a
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (17,018 Views)

Re: Disk I/O error

suggestions;

• Enter %appdata%\skype in the Run command (click OK), then look for and delete file named shared.xml.
  • restart computer

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1680
Message 2 of 10 (17,012 Views)

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't work. I deleted the file, restarted and the same error still appears when I try to log on. Any other ideas?

sportfreundin_a
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (16,993 Views)

• if you have another Skype account, try to log it in.  If it works, log it out then login using your original account

• Do a complete uninstall, then reinstall Skype. here is how to completely uninstall Skype (just back-up all important files and information that you feel is important to you)

support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1680
Message 4 of 10 (16,991 Views)

Thanks! That worked fine...I am online again..hurra! Thanks a lot :happy:!

sportfreundin_a
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (16,988 Views)

I did that and still will not let me use my original passwords or will not let me change them. sthrnchrm2011
sthrnchrm2011
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (16,668 Views)

Thanks for the link.
To live is the rarest thing in life. Most people exist, that's all ....... OSCAR.

Skype name = Friendship2098

Greetings Friendship2098.
Friendship2098
Reliable Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (16,233 Views)

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

Also Refer:

Why do I get a Disk I/O error when I try to sign in to Skype?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6180
Message 8 of 10 (13,728 Views)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This helped me! This fixed my problme. I tried som any things. So many uninstalls, re-installs, disk cleaners, etc... This was the trick!

Nanbo
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (11,815 Views)

[ Edited ]

Managed to resolve the issue by deleting the Skype folder from %TEMP%

On Windows 7 do:

1. Start menu, in the search box type %TEMP%

2. You'll see lots of file and folders, look for a folder named "skype" and delete it

3. Start Skype :happy:

Lahav

lahavsavir
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (4,316 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling