Deleting a sent friend request

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Deleting a sent friend request

Is there anyway to cancel a friend request that I had sent out to another person? I tried contacting skype customer support and all they tell me is that there is no feature in skype to do this.

This widget could not be displayed.
TheUberOverLord
Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Bhighley wrote:
Thank you for your response. I'm bummed that if they just ignore my request, it stays there forever. Oh, well.

It should be noted that removing someone from your contact list and not blocking them will/does only work if your privacy settings are set both for calls and IM's to:

"Contacts Only".

If you have your privacy settings set to "Anyone" then the only method to force the Skype name to not be able to contact you is to block them.

I just don't want you to think that by simply "Removing" a contact from your contact list is somehow equal to blocking someone whom you may not wish to receive calls or IM's from when your privacy settings are set to "Anyone".

When you simply "Remove" someone from your contact list with your privacy settings being set to "Anyone". While they can't see your online status, and you can't see theirs, they still can contact you.

So, bottom line, when you remove someone from your contact list, it is only equal to blocking them, when/if your privacy settings are set to "Contacts Only" for both Calls and IM's. If one or the other is left as "Anyone" the person removed from your contact list will be able to use that method, unless BOTH calls and IM's are set to "Contacts Only".

Also, remove from contacts has some side benefits as well.

Many people may want to easily reference someone to call/send IM's to but don't want the overhead if they are using a limited data plan with their ISP or phone.

Normally, when you have someone in your contact list you receive any status change and mood message changes that contact has.

This can increase the amount of data you receive when online when these things occur, so by keeping a very small contact list, you limit this kind of data, but can easily enter their Skype name to send IM's or Call them without all that overhead by removing some contacts you currently have in your list. You can always re-add them at anytime by right clicking on their name using the method below.

So, by simply entering the name of the Skype contact you removed from your contact list, in the search box above your contact list, you can still find the removed contact and send them an IM or Call them, when/if needed without any need to go thru the process of re-adding them as a contact and have quick and easy access to their name.

The down side of using this method to control the amount of data you receive is, you can't tell when they are online and they can't tell when you are online, when using this method to limit data flow due to limited plans with a ISP or Phone provider.

Note: While it might not seem important at the moment, if you use the "Remove" method and your privacy settings are set to "Contacts Only".

If for whatever reason in the future you decide to open your privacy to be for "Anyone" suddenly, any protection you ("Had") by using the "remove from contacts" method will be gone, and everyone you removed that could not contact you because of your privacy settings being "Contacts Only" will now be able to.

So, IMHO, if you make a mistake like this, block is always better, if you truly wish no contact from this Skype name, now or in the future, that will never change based on what privacy settings you decide to use now or in the future. 

View solution in original post
KingVaroon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 16 (37,475 Views)

Re: Deleting a sent friend request

Hello!

You simply can remove the friend from your contact list whom you send a request to.

That will probably cancel your friend request to that person.

Have a nice day.
FCFirstClass
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 2 of 16 (37,446 Views)

i tried creating a dummy account and sending myself a friend request and removing it. it was still there??

KingVaroon
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 16 (37,441 Views)

Well, of course that sounds logical, but I've been trying to figure out how to do that all morning.  How exactly  do you accomplish that?

mdoster
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 16 (37,307 Views)

a contact request, once sent cannot be cancelled. 

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1660
Message 5 of 16 (37,303 Views)

KingVaroon wrote:

Is there anyway to cancel a friend request that I had sent out to another person? I tried contacting skype customer support and all they tell me is that there is no feature in skype to do this.

While you can't remove/stop the request, you can still block them if you wish.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 6 of 16 (37,301 Views)

Why would that be? What if you sent it to the wrong person? Like I did. Now I have to have a stranger in my contacts list forever?
Posted from Apple iPad
Bhighley
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 16 (37,189 Views)

Bhighley wrote:
Why would that be? What if you sent it to the wrong person? Like I did. Now I have to have a stranger in my contacts list forever?

there is indeed no option to cancel sent contact requests.  but if you added the wrong person, most likely your contact request will be ignored by that person.  But if they accepted it and they are added in your contact list, you can simply right-click on their name and select Remove from Contact List.  

You can also message them and explain your mistake, and request them to also remove you from their contact list too.

:happy:

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 238
Message 8 of 16 (37,184 Views)

Thank you for your response. I'm bummed that if they just ignore my request, it stays there forever. Oh, well.
Posted from Apple iPad
Bhighley
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 16 (37,181 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bhighley wrote:

It should be noted that removing someone from your contact list and not blocking them will/does only work if your privacy settings are set both for calls and IM's to:

"Contacts Only".

If you have your privacy settings set to "Anyone" then the only method to force the Skype name to not be able to contact you is to block them.

I just don't want you to think that by simply "Removing" a contact from your contact list is somehow equal to blocking someone whom you may not wish to receive calls or IM's from when your privacy settings are set to "Anyone".

When you simply "Remove" someone from your contact list with your privacy settings being set to "Anyone". While they can't see your online status, and you can't see theirs, they still can contact you.

So, bottom line, when you remove someone from your contact list, it is only equal to blocking them, when/if your privacy settings are set to "Contacts Only" for both Calls and IM's. If one or the other is left as "Anyone" the person removed from your contact list will be able to use that method, unless BOTH calls and IM's are set to "Contacts Only".

Also, remove from contacts has some side benefits as well.

Many people may want to easily reference someone to call/send IM's to but don't want the overhead if they are using a limited data plan with their ISP or phone.

Normally, when you have someone in your contact list you receive any status change and mood message changes that contact has.

This can increase the amount of data you receive when online when these things occur, so by keeping a very small contact list, you limit this kind of data, but can easily enter their Skype name to send IM's or Call them without all that overhead by removing some contacts you currently have in your list. You can always re-add them at anytime by right clicking on their name using the method below.

So, by simply entering the name of the Skype contact you removed from your contact list, in the search box above your contact list, you can still find the removed contact and send them an IM or Call them, when/if needed without any need to go thru the process of re-adding them as a contact and have quick and easy access to their name.

The down side of using this method to control the amount of data you receive is, you can't tell when they are online and they can't tell when you are online, when using this method to limit data flow due to limited plans with a ISP or Phone provider.

Note: While it might not seem important at the moment, if you use the "Remove" method and your privacy settings are set to "Contacts Only".

If for whatever reason in the future you decide to open your privacy to be for "Anyone" suddenly, any protection you ("Had") by using the "remove from contacts" method will be gone, and everyone you removed that could not contact you because of your privacy settings being "Contacts Only" will now be able to.

So, IMHO, if you make a mistake like this, block is always better, if you truly wish no contact from this Skype name, now or in the future, that will never change based on what privacy settings you decide to use now or in the future. 

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 10 of 16 (37,174 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling