Conversation history

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Conversation history

All of my conversation history disappeared from my computer (it may have happened when I did a registry check with a new program), but all of the conversation history is still on my IPhone.  Is there a way to restore the conversation history.  I have located the back up files which are in *.*.dat format but don't know how to restore from these many many files.  I do know that when I have had conversation on my Ipad they usually show up sometime later on my computer.  Help me please restore my long conversation history with my daughter.  Meryl

rightor
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (6,961 Views)

Re: Conversation history

Where do you have located the backup files? Can you see there also a file with the name main.db?
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5816
Message 2 of 14 (6,834 Views)

They are in C: Users.my-name.appdata.roaming.skype

and then there is a main (db) but it says it's a database file and I need some program to open it.  But I alspo have many many many many files that are just labeled (i.e.)  ad, e3 etc, etc.  There are also many many temp files.  I'm ready for the next step if there is one.  Thank you SO much

rightor
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (6,831 Views)

Actually, the main.db database file is the file where all your conversation history (and more) is saved. This is not a backup but the only place where the history is saved. If this file is deleted or corrupted, then you will not be able to access the history on this particular computer.

Also, it’s not very good with all these temp files. They should be deleted. Please, follow this procedure.

Make sure that Skype is actually not running on your PC (Quit or kill using Task Manager). Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type *appdata*\skype and press Enter. Go trough the whole Skype User folder (including subfolders) and delete any files starting with “temp-“ or ending with “-journal” or with extension .lock.

Just presence of these garbage files may prevent Skype from functioning properly.

P.S. There is currently bug on this forum, which makes it impossible to post any text containing the percent sign. Therefore, replace “*” in front and after appdata with the percent sign.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 14 (6,823 Views)

Thanks so much, so far of course.  I have deleted everything that STARTED with TEMP.  I have one file that has .lck extension (should that go too?)  I still have all those tiny folders with two letter or a number and a letter.  I don't know where they should be as I copied them and place them in a separate file for fear I would lose them all.  So I can easily put them back in the right folder, I just need to know which is the right folder.  And still a little confused about main....It is not a folder, it is exactly located C: Users my-name APPDATA roaming Skype  .........the one in content shows 0KB AND one in my screen name (Rightor) with 8,000 KB...so,  am i scr**wed?  Appreciate your time and effort.

rightor
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (6,819 Views)

Now I’m somewhat confused too. Did you actually made a backup of your files or are you seeing all these files in your current C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Skype\rightor folder? If the last is true and the main.db file, which you can see in this folder, is not corrupted, then theoretically you should be able to see your call history. 8.000 KB should correspond to at least about one year history. I don’t know why you also have a file with the name “main” (0KB) in the Content folder, but this should not matter. What you have in the Content folder, are usually some files used for user created sound effects, but this is not important for Skype. Forget about all these “tiny” folders (you should see them in chatsync folder). They are not important.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 14 (6,812 Views)

Okay, it's "good(?)" we're both confused.  All the little files are in chat sync.  What is in Users, myname,appdata,roaming, skype, rightor is is main and now a new file

main.db-journal, a keyval.db-journal, a main.lock, a keyval.lock, a griffin.lock, a dc.db-journal,a bistats.lock, a config.lck and a bistats.lock, and i SWEAR or PROMISE that I didn't see these before.  I'm terrible sorry to be such a bother but.....I am tempted to do a complete reinstall of skype but figure I wil lose it all so, any other advice you have, I am doing my absolute bestest to follow and learn from.  Thank you soooo very very much.

rightor
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (6,807 Views)

Perhaps we can remove some of the confusion if I will try to explain which files and folders should be in your User directory (the one with your name).

When Skype is not running, you should see these files and folder:

SkypeFilesNoRun.jpg

As soon as you start Skype, several addition files will be created, and you should see this:

SkypeFilesRun.jpg

All these “additional” files should disappear shortly after you Quit Skype.

First I would suggest you to make a small change to your Windows system, so you will be able to properly see all files. In Windows File Explorer go to Tools ->Folder Options -> View. You should see this:

FolderOptions.jpg

Make sure, that the item “Hide extensions for known file types” is not selected. Now you should be able to see files with their correct extensions.

In your last post you have not mentioned a file with the name config.xml. This is the main Skype configuration file with settings related to your account. Probably you will see this file after you have enabled the extensions.

It may indeed be necessary to re-install Skype, but you should do some things before. First of all, Quit Skype and make a copy of the main.db file. Save this file somewhere on your PC or on an USB drive. Download a small but very useful program – SkypeLogView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

Read the instructions provided on the above webpage. With SkypeLogView you will be able to read all the call history, which is contained in your main.db file (if any). This will show if this file is corrupted or not.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 14 (6,799 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh very kind human, I had the same thought when I woke up this AM, (live on west coast) so....I just can't get a screen shot to show here, but yes, I always have hidden files shown, but the files are:  all the same as your screen shot but with the addition of 22 files (?) starting with "etilqs_ ( and a bunch of numbers and letters).  This is what  is having quit SKYPE.  When I load SKYPE it is:the same as your print screen with the additional of all of the "etilqs_ jfijieinn098083084 files. (Any idea what these are and why they are here?) AND NOW TO ADD A NEW TWIST, A pop up is telling me that an update of SKYPE is available, do I want to install?  (YES? - NO? - I think that is when all of these problems started.  I did do the update and that's when I noticed that all my chats were gone and then I did a restore to before I updated the program, Oh well)  OY VEY??? and Mamma Mia???  What is a girl to do????  I have made a backup of the main.db file, I have downloaded the program from the link you have provided and now am scared to death (LOL).  You are way to kind and helpful and patient,  many many thanks.  I am slightly paralyzed at the moment as to what to do....so (to early for a drink haha) so maybe another cup of coffee and keep my hands away from the delete button.

I executed the skypelog viewer and all of the chat info is there EXCEPT the actual chat.  It shows the columns "record number", "action type" "action time" "user name", "display name", "duration" and the zip, zero nothing in the chat message column .....Actually is it only showing CALLS and not chats except the last two days so...there you go and there I am.   Again many many many thanks.  I can see most of my chats on my iphone when I load the history, wish there was a way to put it back on my PC   :sad: 

Last question:  Should I update??

Meryl

rightor
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (6,787 Views)

OY VEY. The situation is quite “meshuggene”. First now I have realised that I have never asked you about what version of Skype are you using. All those “etilqs_” originate from version 4.2 or earlier. These are also temporary files and normally should disappear when Skype is properly quitted. All these files can and actually should be deleted.

If you can’t see any chat messages in SkypeLogView, then the situation is not good. You might have accidently deleted them or the main.db file became corrupted. However, just to be 100 percent sure that this is actually the case, make sure that the chat column in SkypeLogView is wide enough to display the messages. Drag with your mouse at the right edge of the program window and make it wider. If you still can’t see any chat messages, then I’m very, very sorry, but they are “gone with the wind”. There might be some database repair utilities, but my experience in this field is a big zero. I’m sorry.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 14 (6,765 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling