Constant Loud Beep/Squeak ONLY When Webcam is On!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Constant Loud Beep/Squeak ONLY When Webcam is On!

My boyfriend just got a brand new gaming laptop yesterday and one of the first things he did was download Skype. The second he turns his camera I hear this high pitch beep/squeak that sounds kind of like a cricket. He can't hear it unless I turn facetime on my phone and put my phone up to the speakers. If he turns the camera off then the beep immediately stops. If I turn my volume all the way down to 1 I can /still/ hear it. It's driving me bonkers! I uninstalled Skype and reinstalled it but nothing.

My Info: Asus X52F, Windows 7 64, Newest Skype (re-installed today)

His Info: Asus G75VM-BBK5, Windows 7 64, Newest Skype (installed yesterday)

I can hear his cooling fan but that's not really an issue as it's not annoying like the beeping. It is only when his actual camera is on that I can hear the beeps. This never happened on his old laptop but the hard drive let go which is why he got this new one. Facetime crashes on us a lot and drains our batteries like heck which is why we use Skype for longer periods of time. I really, really hope someone has an answer... We usually fall asleep together on Skype and I don't know if we'll have to stop that if the beeping doesn't stop. =[

DieselWeasel
Novel Adventurer

Accepted Solution

Oh thank GOD he managed to fix it!!!! I did [removed for privacy] searches trying to figure out what was going on and found out it's most likely the built in mic picking up the camera's shutter speed. I had him look in control panel for another mic (praying maybe it had two) and was about to give up all hope when he found a little check box for something about filtering sound and immediately the stupid beeps WENT AWAY!!! It also filtered out a lot of the fan sound as well. Things sound a little funny now but I will gladly take that over BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP ANY day of the week!!!!

View solution in original post
DieselWeasel
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (7,233 Views)

Re: Constant Loud Beep/Squeak ONLY When Webcam is On!

[ Edited ]

You can both try this:

Click on Tools > Options > Audio settings.  Uncheck Automatically adjust microphone and Automatically adjust speaker settings boxes.

Set the blue button control on Microphone Volume to the first or second line from the left and the Speaker Volume control to mid range.

Save the changes.

You may have to tweak those setting slightly but see if that elminiates or reduces the problem.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1409
Message 2 of 9 (7,223 Views)

It did nothing to help. We both turned it way down and not only could I hear the beep (Which is NOT feedback), but neither of us could hear each other. Like I said, the beeping goes away completely when he turns his camera off. I can hear it loud and clear now. It's rapid fire not the slower screech of feedback which we've managed to achieve when putting facetime on too close to the laptops. =/

DieselWeasel
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (7,200 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh thank GOD he managed to fix it!!!! I did [removed for privacy] searches trying to figure out what was going on and found out it's most likely the built in mic picking up the camera's shutter speed. I had him look in control panel for another mic (praying maybe it had two) and was about to give up all hope when he found a little check box for something about filtering sound and immediately the stupid beeps WENT AWAY!!! It also filtered out a lot of the fan sound as well. Things sound a little funny now but I will gladly take that over BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP ANY day of the week!!!!

DieselWeasel
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (7,180 Views)

Glad to hear you solved your problem.   That may also help someone else who runs in to the same thing in the future.  :(y):

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1409
Message 5 of 9 (7,170 Views)

I went nuts trying to solve this as it was me hearing it and could describe it better. I hope it can help someone. That's why I posted. =3
Posted from Apple iPhone
DieselWeasel
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (7,163 Views)

I'm having this same exact issue, and I cannot for the life of me... After delving through the computer software for about 4 hours now, find this god forsaken button you're speaking of... All search engines and everything speaking of this "Flitering sound check box" reports some retard saying "You want uninstall mic." or "turn off mic" or "input a mic" But I'm having this issue, my girlfriend does not want to have to go out and replace her laptop again just so we can talk on skype. This is the 4th time this has happened. And we just want a fix to it. Can you assist please.
Flarenova
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (6,871 Views)

I REALLY need your help too. I can't find that magical button on my German HP-Laptop / Windows 7
http://community.skype.com/t5/Skype-f%C3%BCr-Windows/Hilfe-Konstantes-hohes-Piepen-wie-bei-einer-Gri...

I am looking forward to your response. Thx

need_help
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 9 (6,548 Views)

Hey,,, all of you who are having this problem with beeping,,,
turn on skype, go to tools - options - audio settings,, and change external Mic with Internal !
And, there you go,,, the beeping problem is solved !!!
you're welcome !!

JahacMaglle
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (5,273 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling