Computer entirely shuts down when making a skype c...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Computer entirely shuts down when making a skype call

Dear people,

I have been coping with skype issues for quite some time now. The main problem is: each time I try and make a call, the person answer it and my entire computer just simply shuts down, no error message no nothing. Sometimes I have a lucky day and it seems to work fine.

I have been looking into this issue for a long time now, reading about the update problems with 5.6 etc. I updated to the 5.7 Beta and no succes. I updates my sound/video drivers and nothing seemed to help one bit it continued to crash.

However the most problems that are solved are with people running on windows 7, being a little behind with the computer community I don't see a reason why skype would crash with the current computer I have, this confuses me alot since on my old acer extensa 5220 is having no trouble at all in running skype.

I sincerely hope somebody can help me to solve this, since this has been going on for a few weeks if not months. I am truely pardon if I overlooked an already solved issue like mine. But at this stage I am quite desperate ;D

Anyhow, to give you all a little image on how my computer looks like on the inside are the specs written down here:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/15/2012, 14:46:54
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.111025-1623)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Compaq dc7100 SFF(DX878AV)
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 603MB used, 1666MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68E1)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E1&SUBSYS_6000174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 1024.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_3006103C&REV_03
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: smwdm.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.4070 (English)

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I'm not sure if this is also your case, but in the past there were several reports on Skype problems due to ATI Catalyst Control Center. You may try and see if some settings in the Control Center can resolve your issue. The possible solutions were related to the anti-aliasing settings.

You may try to do this:

- set all options in "Game" menu of Catalyst Control Center to "Application Controlled"

- change the smooth-vision anti-aliasing to use application settings.

View solution in original post
MonsterPlush
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (8,895 Views)

Re: Computer entirely shuts down when making a skype call

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if this is also your case, but in the past there were several reports on Skype problems due to ATI Catalyst Control Center. You may try and see if some settings in the Control Center can resolve your issue. The possible solutions were related to the anti-aliasing settings.

You may try to do this:

- set all options in "Game" menu of Catalyst Control Center to "Application Controlled"

- change the smooth-vision anti-aliasing to use application settings.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6409
Message 2 of 6 (8,738 Views)

You sir,

Are amazing! this was indeed the problem. Thank you so much for solving it!

Sincerly,

Monster plushie 

MonsterPlush
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (8,726 Views)

Great, :(y):but I was just reporting what other users found as a working solution.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6409
Message 4 of 6 (8,716 Views)

I know this post was a while back but am also having this difficulty of the computer shutting doiwn consistentkly when using my laptop. Not sure how I find if I HAVE an ATI control settings option. Can anyone enlighhten me? ( or are there any other overlap[s whiuch may be causing the issue Win 7 64 bit

marklaskin
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (7,663 Views)

Just Change the RAM. Ram is creating the problem

kanaks2011
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (2,065 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling