Re: Chinese characters are displayed in the messag...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Chinese characters are displayed in the message window as blank blocks

I upgraded my Skype today, then I got this problem: all Chinese characters, received or sent, are shown as blank blocks in the message window. Anyone could give me hint how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!

peterz2988
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (9,965 Views)

Re: Chinese characters are displayed in the message window as blank blocks

Interesting.  My problem is a bit different.  When I paste a phone number from a US website into a message window in Skype the characters become Chinese.  I don't use Chinese at all on this computer.

Anyone else have this problem?

Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 2 of 7 (9,847 Views)

Any particular reason you're still using version 5.5?  Updating to the current version, 5.9.0.114, may fix that problem. 

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 926
Message 3 of 7 (9,843 Views)

The version doesn't seem to be the problem.  I am actually using 5.8.0.158, the latest one indicated at Help>Check for Updates.

The chinese character problem hs occurred for the past few versions, however, it doesn't occur all the time.  I'll make a note of the next few occurrences and try to give examples and isolate the problem further.

Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 4 of 7 (9,829 Views)

Unfortunately, this is a known issue. See e.g. here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/Paste-of-text-into-Chat-displays-Chinese-characters...

The problem still occurs even in the latest Skype version, which is 5.9.0.114 (check for updates in Skype is unreliable!).

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6593
Message 5 of 7 (9,821 Views)

I found the solution on another thread. The solution is to go to Tools -> Options -> IM&SMS -> IM Appearance and change the font to one that supports Chinese characters. The font "Microsoft YaHei" works well. 修好了!
superkev73
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 7 (9,408 Views)

[ Edited ]

还没有修好了!

Tried changing the IM appearance font, but the resulting characters are garbage - they do not match the input characters at all. 

Even tried other fonts that should be compatible with Hanzi - SimSun, SimHei, FangSong - all have the same result.  It looks like Skype is no longer following the Unicode standard like it did before.

(However, note that the Chinese characters in this forum and this post are OK).

Why couldn't they have left this alone?

It was working just fine before!

kc_72
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (689 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling