Chat History

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Chat History

Where does Skype save my Chat History in terms of FILE LOCATION? The FAQ didn't include that in there and I'm not sure where to look.

I'm kind of **bleep** retentive and wanted to back up my Skype History in case I ever had to uninstall it or something, or if I got a new computer.

SaschaKorshunov
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 12 (29,224 Views)

Re: Chat History

All your chat history is saved in the main.db database file. You can find this file in Skype settings folder on your computer.

Stop Skype from running on your computer.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype, press Enter or OK button.

In the File Explorer window, that will pop-up, locate folder with your Skype user name.

Find there a file with the name main.db. You may see only “main” but the description will say Data base file. Make a copy of this file. Using this copy, you should always be able to restore your chat history.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7086
Message 2 of 12 (28,850 Views)

Dear ruwim,

I could see a main.db and main.db-journal and main.lock under my Skype directory. If I am going to change my computer, I would like to have same history as before in my new computer. (I kept my history from the beginning).

Would this work if I copy all this main,* files into my new skype directory into my new computer' skype direcotry?

Thanks and Regards,
Yen-Yi
yylin
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 12 (28,805 Views)

The only file which you need to copy is main.db. The other “main” files are only temporary files, which should disappear after Skype stops running.

Actually it’s important that you stop Skype from running on the computer both when making the copy as well as when you will go to insert the copy into the new installation.

Remember also that in the new installation you will need to replace the original main.db with the copy and not just add it as a copy.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 12 (28,799 Views)

Dear All,

I did a windows re-install and lost my Skype chat history. Now I have a few hundred contacts but only the chat histories for two or three of them are important to me. I have two main business partners and we generate many thousands of words in chat and pasted content per day and so over the course of two years this is a vast, searchable amount of text.

Whilst I have lost the history from my computer, they will have them stored on theirs. Is there any way for them to send me the relevant file, and if I can get it, how do I tell my version of skype to recognise this file as a particular skype chat history?

park1head
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 12 (28,659 Views)

Unfortunately this is not possible. Chat history files cannot be transferred between different accounts.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 12 (28,656 Views)

I wonder if anyone else can parse your main.db for nefarious purposes.

spdykat
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (15,758 Views)

spdykat wrote:

I wonder if anyone else can parse your main.db for nefarious purposes.

main.db is a standard SQLite 3 database file and can be read by any SQLite browser.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 12 (15,745 Views)

That's what I thought, thanks.

spdykat
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 12 (15,737 Views)

i have found the maind.db file.

my question is...

now days... does skype lets you choose in wthich directory to save your chat history?

for example... i dont want to save on the regular drive C, i want to save them on my second hard drive, E.

possible?

the old skype was...

yguimaraes
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 12 (13,547 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling