Cannot write the installation package on the disk.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Cannot write the installation package on the disk.

[ Edited ]

Hello.

On my old laptop XP sp3, I had skype 3.5. I tried to install to 5.0 and 5.5 but I got the “Cannot write the installation package on the disk” error.

I removed the old skype using control panel + also removed applicationdata/skype folders.

Is there a way to see more what is going on? Command prompt?

I tried also safe mode install.

Any ideas?

This widget could not be displayed.
makkonentomi
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Update 2: SOLVED

skypesetup.msi – version tells the problem:

The installer has insufficient privileges to acces this directory: C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Apps.

It seems, I failed to delete all skype folders.

Reason setup failed: microsoft kb 810881

And now the next problem: Installing Skype failed; code 2. Lol, is this installer the best, yes?

Later… same problem, it seems. Deleting skype folder (now with priviledges) worked. I have skype, lol.

View solution in original post
This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

dear_jessie wrote:

I've deleted all skype folders (i'm with windows 7) but still have he same error : Cannot write the installation package on the disk. Please make sure that you have necessary disk space available.I can't fix it....

Try to clear all temp folders.

View solution in original post
makkonentomi
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (4,107 Views)

Re: Cannot write the installation package on the disk.

Just tried version Skype 4.2.0.187. Same error: Cannot write the installation package on the disk. Please make sure that you have necessary disk space available.

makkonentomi
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 9 (3,885 Views)

Update 2: SOLVED

skypesetup.msi – version tells the problem:

The installer has insufficient privileges to acces this directory: C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Apps.

It seems, I failed to delete all skype folders.

Reason setup failed: microsoft kb 810881

And now the next problem: Installing Skype failed; code 2. Lol, is this installer the best, yes?

Later… same problem, it seems. Deleting skype folder (now with priviledges) worked. I have skype, lol.

makkonentomi
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (3,878 Views)

This is the most annoying installation package I have ever had the misfortune of receiving.

It cant be opened. Keeps popping up when you  connect to a phone number. Surely Skype with all of their resources could come up with a better installer.

Look out Skype... Google is on the warpat. And I for one will be crossing over.

tedc
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (3,807 Views)

I've deleted all skype folders (i'm with windows 7) but still have he same error : Cannot write the installation package on the disk. Please make sure that you have necessary disk space available.I can't fix it....

dear_jessie
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (3,267 Views)

dear_jessie wrote:

Try to clear all temp folders.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6384
Message 6 of 9 (3,263 Views)

Thank you!!!!I have skype now! (happy)

dear_jessie
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (3,252 Views)

I met same problem right now. Skype cannot be installed in Windows xp. Same error was shown up. How do you solve this problem? I already delete all skype folders and temp folders, but it still failed to install. Please tell me how to slove it. Thank you.

pinkjack15
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (2,881 Views)

pinkjack15 wrote:

I met same problem right now. Skype cannot be installed in Windows xp. Same error was shown up. How do you solve this problem? I already delete all skype folders and temp folders, but it still failed to install. Please tell me how to slove it. Thank you.

What is the exact error code / message?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6243
Message 9 of 9 (2,861 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling