Cannot take snapshots

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Cannot take snapshots

I've used skype before and i never used to have problems with the snapshots but ever since my computer got wiped and i had to re install everything, i can't take snapshots durring a video call. I have a windows XP, i've updated the adobe flash player and still nothing.

I just click the button and nothing happens, the video doesn't slow down or anything. I go and check the file it's supposed to be in and still nothing. I don't know what it's doing.

brendan_9712
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 16 (3,926 Views)

Re: Cannot take snapshots

Check the manufacture web site for the drivers of your CAM, what Make Model is it?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 16 (3,922 Views)

I have a Microsoft LiveCam VX-1000, i dunno if the camera is the problem because the video works fine

brendan_9712
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 16 (3,920 Views)

[ Edited ]

If the driver is old or a generic driver for the CAM, then snapshots will not work in some cases. So best to check.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 16 (3,917 Views)

I used this cam last time though and had no problems with it. It's only when the computer got wiped that it stopped working. I can take snapshots and video clips normally though if i use the program that comes with the camera, it's just when i use skype the snapshots won't save anywhere, they won't even show up after i click the button.

Do i have to go check the requirements for skype then?

brendan_9712
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 16 (3,912 Views)

No, please try as I suggested.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 16 (3,910 Views)

Several users have in past reported that they were not able to take snapshots on Windows XP SP3 and the latest official versions of Skype but were able to do this with older versions (e.g. 5.1). I can here report my own experience. On one of my machines (Windows XP SP3) I have a very old webcam (Creative PC-CAM 880) and with this webcam and Skype 5.3.0.120 I was NOT ABLE to take snapshots. Just for a testing purpose only I have temporary installed a newer webcam on this computer and snapshot function WAS WORKING now. Recently I have used the new 5.5.beta (used as a portable installation) on the same XP PC and the snapshot function works now even with the old webcam. Certain combinations of webcam drivers and Skype versions makes the snapshots available or not.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6911
Message 7 of 16 (3,902 Views)

No trouble taking snapshots on any of my Windows machines.  On Mac book pro I recall that I used to be able to take snapshots (?).  Now on latest Skype software for Mac cannot even find 'Snapshots mentioned on any of the drop down tabs.  Has this function been discontinued for Mac?  Thanks for any help.

dougsinclair95
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 16 (3,818 Views)

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite 655. When I downloaded Skype, I can't take snapshots either.  The button does not even appear.

fbear0143
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 16 (3,752 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers? New systems usually are many months behind on both.

Please also see this: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

Some fixes have been made for some snapshot issues as well in this new version.

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue.

A new version has just been released August 02, 2011:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

This new version is 5.5.0.113 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 16 (3,750 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling