Cannot log in

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Cannot log in

I downloaded the latest version of skype 5.5 and when it gets to the log in page, none of the buttons are active, it will not allow me to log in, please help.  It was working fine until the update occurred.

juliegibson88
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 16 (488 Views)

Re: Cannot log in

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 2 of 16 (343 Views)

Can it work in my case when I try to install an older version?
mrazqskype
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 16 (339 Views)

You can try, however, most likey you will be forced upgraded in the near future:

For Testing ONLY! Please do NOT stay on this release and post back if this works.

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. You will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=82?download

This will install the older version of Skype.

How are things now?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 16 (338 Views)

It didn't work, but it did change something. When uninstalling newer version and installing the old one, the old one got automatically approved by the windows xp firewall. Now it asked me if it should unblock it. I said unblock it and then it went on and failed to log me in just as before.
mrazqskype
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 16 (336 Views)

So in the end - no change, any other suggestions I can try to make an old version work?
mrazqskype
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 16 (335 Views)

It keeps saying that access to skype is being blocked by my network, but I know it's not the case!
mrazqskype
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 16 (332 Views)

For testing, have you tried to disable your firewall and/or malware software to see what happens when they are not in the mix?

Please don't surf the net while testing this.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 16 (330 Views)

You're right, I had my Firefox 6.0 window open while I tried to log in to skype. I closed it and it logged me in with 3.something

mrazqskype
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 16 (324 Views)

I'm having a similar problem.  Like the original poster, the button on the login screen wasn't working (neither were the checkboxes, or the enter key).  I tried following the advice here: found and deleted the shared.xml file, did not find the config file, tried reinstalling 5.5 making sure Firefox and everything besides Windows Explorer was shut down, but it still isn't letting me sign on.

Soliloquy
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 16 (316 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling