Cannot add a contact.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Cannot add a contact.

I’ve spent several hours reading other threads and following all the suggested solutions which appeared reasonable and none have worked so I will start my own.  Plenty of people seem to have enjoyed this new feature of Skype so hopefully some kind body may deign to help me.

The Internet and Skype are most definitely connected … I have been talking to people using Skype whilst this problem has been explored.

From the Skype UI when I click on Contacts – Add a Contact…  all I get is an immediate pop-up box filled with sky blue and edged with white clouds along the bottom.  Most restful as my temper has grown increasingly heated.

I am using a stand alone pc with a simple 56K internal modem:

Skype 5.3.0.116

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2 (newly installed though problem predated it)

AVAST antvirus 6.0.1125

I have tried switching off antivirus, firewall etc.  Installing then removing Skype 5.3, as per another thread I downloaded and upgraded IE from 6 to 8 (I normally use Firefox).  From the advanced tab I have clicked on reset for IE8.  Made IE8 my default web browser.  IE is not set to work offline.

All to no avail. 

pawter1
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 13 (2,706 Views)

Re: Cannot add a contact.

you can try these suggestions;

1. Clean IE. Delete Temporary Internet Files, clear cache, cookies, etc

2. Reset IE. Click Internet Options >> Advanced. Then click Restore Advanced Settings and Reset. Click OK then restart.

3.  Remove or delete Skype related Add-ons or programs (recorders, translators, autoresponder, etc if any)

4.  Download and install the current beta version 5.5 (link below);

skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/beta/

5.  If all else fails, try to do a complete uninstall (link below).  Just back up any important Skype related files and information first.  After completely uninstalling, reinstall a fresh copy of Skype

support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1564
Message 2 of 13 (2,701 Views)

Not that I believed it would work ... but I've had too much experience of computer faults to try short cuts.  So I performed steps 1 then 2 ... 3 not applicable but I'm only halfway through 4 when I checked Skype.  And problem is finished.  Not sure what it was but it's all fixed.

Thanks vey much!

pawter1
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 13 (2,697 Views)

you're welcome, Pawter1.  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Primemover
Power User
Message 4 of 13 (2,694 Views)

having just installed skype I find I cannot add or import contacts. I recieved an error message re the toolbar on both V5.3 and the beta - what should I do?

michaelgrieve
Tourist
Message 5 of 13 (2,601 Views)

can you include a screenshot of the exact error message?

Primemover
Power User
Message 6 of 13 (2,599 Views)

[ Edited ]

well it doesn't work with me...

Did a fresh installation and when I want to add a new contact it doesn't load the pop-up page. 

Then downloaded the 5.5 Beta and no luck either.

Windows 7

Any suggestions?

Elise
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 13 (2,572 Views)

Elise wrote:

well it doesn't work with me...

Did a fresh installation and when I want to add a new contact it doesn't load the pop-up page. 

Then downloaded the 5.5 Beta and no luck either.

Windows 7

Any suggestions?

In your case, I suggest you try a complete uninstall, then reinstall Skype (either the current ot beta version). here is how to completely uninstall Skype (just back-up all important files and information that you feel is important to you)

support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

Primemover
Power User
Message 8 of 13 (2,569 Views)

Welll, still no luck.

It keeps opening in a Rich Text format. Not in HTML.

I really need to add some contacts... So it would be helpfull to get around it and get it working.

I think it has to do with a technical problem.

https:// support skype com /en-us/faq/FA10967/Why-can-t-I-add-contacts?frompage=search&q=cannot+add+a+contact&fromSearchFirstPage=false

When can this be fixed?

Elise
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 13 (2,565 Views)

I have been experiencing the same problem, just have the blue screen poppin up and it's blank. I treid to install the new Beta version but it all went wrong and I could not log in at all, the logging in screen was not active. I set up the IE to default, cleared all the temp internet files, etc. I find the whole thing v frustrating and cannot find the answer as to how to resolve the problem ;(

mokka1
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 13 (2,536 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling