Cannot INSTALL Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Cannot INSTALL Skype

I am able to download Skype without any problems, but when I try to install it, I get a message saying: "The Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed, code 1601"...If anyone can help me resolve this issue it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Veemer17
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (4,232 Views)

Re: Cannot INSTALL Skype

Just to clarify, the full message reads:

INFORMATION

"Installing Skype failed; code 1601

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.  Contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer Service is properly registered"

Veemer17
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 10 (4,087 Views)

Windows Installer Service (msiexec.exe) is the Windows program which is used to install other programs on the computer. You may follow the instructions provided here in order to restore this service.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/error-1601-windows-installer-is-not-accessible/08dce679-496d-43f4-a4b5-bb467800bb90

Start with Method 1 and try then to re-install Skype. If still no success, you will have to follow the other methods.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7086
Message 3 of 10 (4,078 Views)

Thank you for the help Ruwim.  Unfortunately I went through all the methods and it still doesn't work!  I have been trying to figure this out for over 2 hours and nothing works.  I am officially lost and have no clue what to do. lol.  If anyone understands why it's not working I would really appreciate the help.  Thank you.

Veemer17
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (4,072 Views)

Have you rebooted you computer after making the changes? What was the result from method 1? Another possible solution is to re-install Windows Installer. You can do this from here:

support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 10 (4,065 Views)

Thanks again.  I have tried rebooting my computer after the process, and nothing.  The results from Method 1 showed no problems at all.  As did the results from Methods 2, 3 and 4.  I just tried re-installing the Windows Installer, rebooted my computer and I still am unable to install Skype.  This is so frustrating!!!

Veemer17
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (4,058 Views)

Veemer17 wrote:

Thanks again.  I have tried rebooting my computer after the process, and nothing.  The results from Method 1 showed no problems at all.  As did the results from Methods 2, 3 and 4.  I just tried re-installing the Windows Installer, rebooted my computer and I still am unable to install Skype.  This is so frustrating!!!

Please try downloading/installing from here and choose the run or open option when prompted: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

If this fails, please delete your IE ("Internet Explorer") browser cache, cookies and temp files and try again using a IE browser window, even if IE is not your default browser.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 7 of 10 (4,052 Views)

Thanks UberOverlord.  I tried that too and I am still getting the same result...I am going to start from scratch and do all the methods again.  I will let you know how it goes...

Veemer17
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (4,042 Views)

Maybe you should try this check procedure provided by Microsoft:

support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

I would suggest to read all this article before starting on using the suggested procedures.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 10 (4,032 Views)

ruwim wrote:

Maybe you should try this check procedure provided by Microsoft:

support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

I would suggest to read all this article before starting on using the suggested procedures.

baniamin
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (2,210 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling