Cannot Add a Contact [Solution]

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Cannot Add a Contact [Solution]

[ Edited ]

If you Cannot Add a Contact in Skype and see pictures like below:

Here is the solution for “Cannot Add a Contact”:

You may need to reset your Internet Explorer Settings.

Here is a Mr. FixIT:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Run This.

You may also need to reinstall or repair your Internet Explorer.

Here is another Mr. FixIT

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Click the Run Now button.

Restart Your Computer.

Content Advisor is turned off by default. If you already have turned on Content Advisor in Internet Explorer, You may need to Disable Internet Explorer Content Advisor.

Internet Explorer Content Advisor - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

Then, you may need to register vbscript.dll and jscript.dll

Windows 32 bit

1. Run cmd.exe with administrator privileges (Start > type ‘cmd’ then

right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator, then click

Continue when prompted by the elevation consent dialogue box). This

will open a command prompt in c:\windows\system32

2.Type “regsvr32 vbscript.dll” (Without The Quotes) press Enter

You should now get a message that says: “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.”

3.Type “regsvr32 jscript.dll” (Without The Quotes) press Enter

You should now get a message that says: “DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.”

Restart Your Computer.

Windows 64 bit

1.Run cmd.exe with administrator privileges (Start > type ‘cmd’ then

right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator, then click

Continue when prompted by the elevation consent dialogue box). This

will open a command prompt in c:\windows\system32

2.Type cd..

3.Type "cd SysWOW64" (Without The Quotes) press Enter

4. Type “regsvr32 vbscript.dll” (Without The Quotes) press Enter

You should now get a message that says: “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.”

5. Type “regsvr32 jscript.dll” (Without The Quotes) press Enter

You should now get a message that says: “DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded.”

Restart Your Computer.

Note: If you have Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) installed, then also do this:

Type: “regsvr32 jscript9.dll” (Without The Quotes) press Enter

You should now get a message that says: “DllRegisterServer in jscript9.dll succeeded.”

Restart Your Computer.

Now try running Skype.

As a tip: Always keep your Skype, Windows, Internet Explorer, DirectX, Flash and Java software up to date to run Skype Smoothly.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6208
Message 1 of 18 (16,818 Views)

Re: Cannot Add a Contact [Solution]

That is not my problem.  I have some contacts but I cannot reach another.  It shows he is not on line.  When he tries to get me it shows him the same.  I have put his user name and e mail and it accepted it but showed me 37 possibilities.  How can there be 37 possibilities with the same e mail address.

I was able to phone him using skype.

I am not computer savy.  Can someone walk me through what I am supposed to be doing.  I have deleted skyp 2 times and restarted fresh each time and that does not help.

audmartg
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 18 (16,477 Views)

Re: Cannot Add a Contact

I too am unable to add any new contacts to my Skype (latest version 5.9.0.114). I just get a greyed out pop-up screen.   I cannot fathom out what all this discussion is about IE , I don't ever use it, I use Firefox and Chrome for internet browsing and video streaming.

This is a real pain, I desperately need to be able to add new contacts.

Can anybody offer any further advice? My latest version oif Skype says that it includes "various bugfixes"; Hmmmm!

--G

Grumpah1942
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (15,407 Views)

Grumpah1942 wrote:

I too am unable to add any new contacts to my Skype (latest version 5.9.0.114). I just get a greyed out pop-up screen.   I cannot fathom out what all this discussion is about IE , I don't ever use it, I use Firefox and Chrome for internet browsing and video streaming.

This is a real pain, I desperately need to be able to add new contacts.

Can anybody offer any further advice? My latest version oif Skype says that it includes "various bugfixes"; Hmmmm!

--G

It doesn’t matter at all which browser you are using because Skype is always using Internet Explorer installed on your computer. If your IE is not working properly, Skype will not function properly too.

What is the version of Internet Explorer on your computer? In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

What do you see when you open this link in your Internet Explorer (it must be the 32-bit version)

https://apps.skype.com/friendfinder/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6292
Message 4 of 18 (15,405 Views)

Thanks for the response!  It appears that I have IE v.7 on this PC.  When I open it I get a message in the "information bar" saying that it is runnning with add-ons disabled. It says I should enable Active-X controls, but right-click the info bar does not give me the option to do that. I have not found any way to enable add-ons.  Are we on the right track here?

Thanks again,

--Grahame

Grumpah1942
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (15,348 Views)

I'm now downloading and installing IE8, see if that helps.
Grumpah1942
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 18 (15,344 Views)

So installing IE8 has not helped at all, on the "add-ons" front. It still says they are disabled. When I look at {Tools}{Manage Add-ons} there are enormous lists and they are all enabled. So this makes no sense to me. I have tried to do an MS update from IE8 but it says I must install Active X controls; unfortunately the instructions for doing that do not work on this Win-XP PC. All a bit of a silly mess so far.

I hope you can help out with further suggestions.

--Grahame

P.S. My Skype still will not let me add a new contact!

Grumpah1942
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (15,340 Views)

Maybe you should try to disable your Antivirus application or what ever other Internet security software you are using.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6292
Message 8 of 18 (15,333 Views)

Re: Cannot Add a Contact [Solution]

How do I find the menu to Add Contact on Mac?
Posted from Apple iPad
Martieschu
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 18 (14,839 Views)

I also have IE8 and it is on "Run-in" mode and all that which is needed for Skype to run properly. But the same message comes up everytime I try to add a contact. I don't know what is wrong with this version. It's fedding me up..

Ezafaa
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 18 (11,517 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling