Can you skype to an IP address ?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Can you skype to an IP address ?

I have a client that has video teleconferencing equipement using IP in his office.  He wants to have a video meeting where there is no teleconferencing equipment.  Can you use skype from a laptop and wireless internet, and conntect to his IP address using his videoteleconference equipement ?

Lee

leebitman
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (8,588 Views)

Re: Can you skype to an IP address ?

I am not recommending you to use Skype for this particular issue.

Skype uses a proprietary protocol, which means you can only connect to skype users and nobody else. Another disadvantage is that it is illegal to use at Cern.

That's because skype has a "supernode" feature where it routes other peoples conversation through your computer if you are sitting on a high-bandwidth network.

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6511
Message 2 of 8 (8,419 Views)

Tamim wrote:

I am not recommending you to use Skype for this particular issue.

Skype uses a proprietary protocol, which means you can only connect to skype users and nobody else. Another disadvantage is that it is illegal to use at Cern.

That's because skype has a "supernode" feature where it routes other peoples conversation through your computer if you are sitting on a high-bandwidth network.

On
May 1st 2012, this software restriction has been dropped as agreed by the Legal Service, and the departments and LHC experiments represented in theITSRM

Now my office also has the same limitation and its subsiadaries cannot afford to purchase the software to utilize our conferencing equipment. Has anyone figured out if calling an ip with skype is plausible?

Simplytechnical
Casual Tourist
Message 3 of 8 (7,937 Views)

Simplytechnical wrote:
Has anyone figured out if calling an ip with skype is plausible?

a developer may wish to investigate this:

https://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 312
Message 4 of 8 (7,891 Views)

Excuse me!?

I know I should have read the fine print but, you're telling me Skype calls by others are routed through my machine/network, using my bandwidth?

This should be made obvious, clearly stated, to every Skype user!

dullardseething
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (3,710 Views)

dullardseething wrote:

Excuse me!?

I know I should have read the fine print but, you're telling me Skype calls by others are routed through my machine/network, using my bandwidth?

This should be made obvious, clearly stated, to every Skype user!

This is an old thread.  It doesn't exactly work like it used to for sometime as normally users are no longer user "supernodes".   That is why that CERN restriction was removed.   Some bandwidth is used to support the network but it's balanced out and limited.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-mic...

The information isn't hidden.  It's in plain sight.

http://www.skype.com/en/legal/tou/

5.2 Use of Your Equipment: The Internet Communications Software may use the processing capabilities, memory and bandwidth of the computer (or other applicable device) you are using, for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication and establishing the connection between Internet Communications Software users. If your use of the Internet Communications Software is dependent upon the use of a processor and bandwidth owned or controlled by a third party, you acknowledge and agree that your licence to use the Internet Communications Software is subject to you obtaining consent from the relevant third party for such use. You represent and warrant that by accepting these Terms, you have obtained such consent.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1486
Message 6 of 8 (3,705 Views)

Who reads the EULAs?

The program remains a bandwidth hog....

dullardseething
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (3,702 Views)

If you don't want to read anything, don't act surprised.  If you don't agree with the terms, and it's too much of a bandwidth hog for your network, then I would suggest you don't use it.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1486
Message 8 of 8 (3,700 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling