Can't view old messages on new computer?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Can't view old messages on new computer?

Hello.

A few months ago, (January and December) I was talking to a good friend of mine. In the end, we had our differences, and decided to block each other and delete each other from our contacts. Since then, I have gotten a new computer, and I've been wanting to read the old messages we sent to each other.

On my old computer, I was able to view the messages we sent to one another even though we blocked and removed each other.

Sadly, when I searched her name in Skype to view our old messages, I was unable to view them on my *new* computer.

Is there any way I could view the old messages we sent to one another on my new computer or are chat logs only PC-specific?

Please help...

mishaeckoo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (12,923 Views)

Re: Can't view old messages on new computer?

Chat logs are PC-specifing. Skype messages are only saved localy on this computer which has been used for chatting.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6403
Message 2 of 6 (12,890 Views)

What if I were to have the main.db backup file containing the old computer's chat logs?

If I were to transfer it onto my new computer, would I be able to view it? And if so, could you guide me through what I should do to be able to view the recorded chatlong?

mishaeckoo
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (12,886 Views)

If you replace your new main.db file with the one from the old computer, then you will be able to view all the old chat messages.

You can also download this free application – SkypeLogView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

With SkypeLogView you can read chat messages saved in any main.db file.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6403
Message 4 of 6 (12,880 Views)

Okay,so what if it's the same computer but you uninstalled Skype from your computer,but reinstalled it a few weeks after?

JustChica
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (7,032 Views)

Your chat logs are contained in the %appdata%\Skype folder on your computer.  A normal Skype uninstall does not clear this data.   You can then re-install Skype at a later time and your messages will be there.  If something you did cleared the contents of that folder, then your messages would be gone.  If you have another computer with those old logs, you could transplant that file (main.db) to get some/all of your chat history back.

Ex.  %appdata%\Skype\YourSkypeName\main.db   <----- your chat log file.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1264
Message 6 of 6 (7,027 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling