Can't uninstall Skype.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Can't uninstall Skype.

Hello, I'm new member over here. :happy:

Before two or three days, my Skype stopped working. It was logining in problem. It was just keeping "Signing In" table on my screen. So, I prepared to install Skype. (I thought, the old one was outdated). It "throwed" me the table, that Windows had failed to uninstall the Skype. 

So, I realised to uninstall Skype. I went to "Start" and typed "appwiz.cpl" (I'm using Windows 7). Windows bringed me the table of list of installed files. I went and double clicked on "Skype(tm) 5.3". It asked "Do you really want to remove Skype(tm) 5.3?". Clicked on "Yes". And then Windows bringed me another table:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Skype.msi' in the box below".

"Use source:"

"[FIELD]"

The path to "Skype.msi" was incorrect. I changed it to correct one, but after clicking "OK", I've got the table:

"The file 'C:\ProgramData\Skype\{D6F879CC-59D6-4D4B-AE9B-D761E48D25ED}\Skype.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product Skype (tm) 5.3. Try to find the installation package 'Skype.msi' in a folder from which you can install Skype (TM) 5.3."

After I clicked "Cancel", I've got the table again: (Wrong translation Lithuanian - English)

"This product install resource is not reachable. Please check, If resource exists and or It's able to run it."

How to get the "Skype" uninstalled? (I'll install it again ;p)

Thanks in advance.

Gregaras

gregaras
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 16 (8,795 Views)

Re: Can't uninstall Skype.

You must have at some point installed the 5.5Beta version because the folder {D6F879CC-59D6-4D4B-AE9B-D761E48D25ED} contains Skype.msi for this version. The folder with 5.3 msi is {5335DADB-34BA-4AE8-A519-648D78498846}.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5601
Message 2 of 16 (8,786 Views)

I've found "SkypeToolbars.msi" here. ({5335DADB-34BA-4AE8-A519-648D78498846})

gregaras
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 16 (8,783 Views)

Maybe, downloading the new .msi file wouldn't be better?

gregaras
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 16 (8,778 Views)

Skype.msi version 5.3 should have been in this folder. This is what I have on my Windows 7 PC. I think that in your case it will be best to install 5.5Beta without uninstalling the current Skype installation.

skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/beta/

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5601
Message 5 of 16 (8,774 Views)

[ Edited ]

It says "Unable to uninstall Skype 5.5.", but I have only 5.3 v. :bigsmile:

P.S. The another table appeared, it said:

"There was unable to install Skype; Code 1603

The error had occured during the installation"

(Translate)

gregaras
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 16 (8,769 Views)

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the beta version using the instructions below:

You can install the current beta release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the beta release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 623
Message 7 of 16 (8,756 Views)

Hello.

Thanks TheUberOverLord for useful info. 

By the way: I did "System Restore" for my Windows and Skype works normally again.

gregaras
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 16 (8,747 Views)

[ Edited ]

"2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes."

I have the error, after I double click on "Skype 5.3" and "Yes":

"The feature you are trying is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Skype.msi' in the box below.

Use source:

[FIELD C:\ProgramData\Skype\{5335DADB-34BA-4AE8-A519-648D78498846}\]"

I click "OK", but Windows shows me the table:

"The path 'C:\ProgramData\Skype\{5335DADB-34BA-A519-648D78498846}\Skype.msi' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'Skype.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product Skype(tm) 5.3."

I've tried to check "C:\ProgramData\Skype\{5335DADB-34BA-4AE8-A519-648D78498846}" and didn't find "Skype.msi" file. There was "SkypeToolbars.msi" only which was using 2.774 MB of disc space.

Maybe, If someone would send me "Skype.msi" file from "C:\ProgramData\Skype\{5335DADB-34BA-4AE8-A519-648D78498846}" and then, I will remove "Skype 5.3." and install "Skype 5.5. BETA" and will succesfully complete here?

P.S. "Also, do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?"

I was having latest Windows Updates before "System Restore", there are 8 waiting updates to be installed now. And I'm stuck at graphics driver update, well, in the last graphics driver I had BSoD. I was glad, I fixed the PC, so I don't try to do this again.

Gregaras

gregaras
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 16 (8,745 Views)

[ Edited ]

You are very welcome, but I am somewhat confused are you saying Skype is or is not working now?

If so, you got past the msi issue?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 623
Message 10 of 16 (8,739 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling