Can't send video

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Can't send video

I'm new to Skype and the webcam, and also I was forced recently to get a new computer with Windows 7.  The camera works fine,  I can see the other person's video, we hear each other OK, I can see myself, BUT the other person can't see me.  I have followed this problem via self-help tutorials, but I always end up at: "Can't start video.  Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam."  OK, what other programs ?  All I have opened is Skype, the webcam and Internet Explorer.  What programs might be running in the background, such as Windows Live Messenger (which I'm not sure I have)?  The answer is probably already on this forum, but, wow, that's a lot to search for a novice like me.  Thanks.

birdman1517
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (6,596 Views)

Re: Can't send video

birdman1517 wrote:

I'm new to Skype and the webcam, and also I was forced recently to get a new computer with Windows 7.  The camera works fine,  I can see the other person's video, we hear each other OK, I can see myself, BUT the other person can't see me.  I have followed this problem via self-help tutorials, but I always end up at: "Can't start video.  Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam."  OK, what other programs ?  All I have opened is Skype, the webcam and Internet Explorer.  What programs might be running in the background, such as Windows Live Messenger (which I'm not sure I have)?  The answer is probably already on this forum, but, wow, that's a lot to search for a novice like me.  Thanks.

Is it possible that there is something in your system tray, even hidden if you allow that, which could in fact be using the CAM? It might be best to stop any of these programs that could be possibly doing this and see if the issue goes away after doing so.

Also....

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 2 of 14 (6,446 Views)

It is so great that Skype is caring for us - users - the ones they are getting money from - so very much that they are keen on answering our problems and trying to solve them.

NOT

I have tried to search several forums on this issue but never found a reply - not to mention a solution - from Skype. It turns out that everything looks quite OK, but the contact on the other side of the call can not see my camera picture - which I can. Then when I go to the bandwidth settings I see it says: "Not sending video". I think it should be working by switching it on - but there is no such possibility (!!!). Yes, the camera is working OK (I can see my pictures moving while the conversation). I have also tried to make videocalls with both a new and an old Skype account - same result. No, there is no problem on the receivers side, makes and receives video calls quite often - works with other people. Yes, most recent version of Skype, most recent version of drivers, directX, system, everything. New camera - works in other applications, in Skype setup, etc.

Sorry for fuming to myself and you - the readers of this post - but since there is no answer from Skype I have to voice my problems somehow.

I had the same problem - Skype was using the camera and claimed that someone else is using it (schizophrenia) because my camera has a built-in mic and Skype initiated the mic then realized that the camera is in use by something else (itself in fact). I have searched all topics and support forums with the above results. I have tried to update everything possible and "kill" all other applications (in the task manager) - with no results. What helped me in the end was to connect the camera to the USB-hub. I can no way figure out the reason for that - because I have tried other USB-ports (even a 3.0) before with no solution but finally it works. It is only Skype that is not sending the video it receives and shows.

Ember
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 14 (6,432 Views)

Try downloading the latest version of DirectX from : http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Also , sometimes your contact's internet bandwidth is weak this is why they cannot receive the video correctly, Try ask them to have their internet dedicated for Skype at the moment .
NoxxeR
The Documentator
Kudos: 7
Message 4 of 14 (6,137 Views)

Please also see this: http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/How-to-Find-Program-That-Has-Cam-Opened/td-p/482745

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 5 of 14 (5,986 Views)

That issue was already solved. By the way: Skype was the program which used the camera and reported itself as some other application using the camera.

So again: the camera is working fine, the picture of it can be seen both on the settings screen both during video call but when I enter call properties (the little growing lines on the bottom of the call screen) it say: "Not sending video". Otherwise you would not know that there is no video sent because the screen shows outgoing video as well - with moving picture, nice details, everything. Switching the camera on and off does not change anything (except for the preview screen).

Again: latest Skype version - updated 5 times since the problem occured, latest dX, latest software, latest drivers, very high profile PC, fast internet.

So this is something Skype would have to take care about (for example putting a "switch video on" button in the call properties). But this is "Community" so no support is received here from their side.

Ember
Reliable Adventurer
Message 6 of 14 (5,978 Views)

Did you check the user guide on how to perform video calling: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/support/user-guides/call-with-video/

Is the receiving end on the latest Skype version as well?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 14213
Message 7 of 14 (5,973 Views)

Yes. Of course! Come on! Do you think I have so low mental capabilities?

The other side can do perfect video calls - send and receive - when not making a video call to me. When videocalling me though the other side does not receive video - whoever the other side might be - the same with everyone. And I seem to be sending video until going into connection properties.

So again: the camera is working fine, the picture of it can be seen both on the settings screen both during video call but when I enter call properties (the little growing lines on the bottom of the call screen) it say: "Not sending video". Otherwise you would not know that there is no video sent because the screen shows outgoing video as well - with moving picture, nice details, everything. Switching the camera on and off does not change anything (except for the preview screen).

Again: latest Skype version - updated 5 times since the problem occured, latest dX, latest software, latest drivers, very high profile PC, fast internet.

So this is something Skype would have to take care about (for example putting a "switch video on" button in the call properties). But this is "Community" so no support is received here from their side. 

Ember
Reliable Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (5,962 Views)

You are saying that you have fast internet. What actually your upload speed is? You can check this on:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Next time you are on a video call, go to Call -> Call Technical Info. Watch the displayed upload/download speed during the call.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6802
Message 9 of 14 (5,957 Views)

I do not get it. Why does everybody think that I do not know anything about IT?

The internet connection is fast enough to make video calls (send and receive) from other computers and devices on the same network. And before you ask: No, not simultaneously. One is in use at the time. Yes. I have also tried to switch off all other devices on the network. No. It is not the router. As I said I can make other video calls through the same network, same router. No. The camera is working fine with any other application. No. No other applications were running when trying to make a video call. Beleive me: if it was a setting I would have solved it. It is a bug which Skype could eliminate if they took care about the users.

But here is the data for you:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1762998205.png 

Ember
Reliable Adventurer
Message 10 of 14 (5,948 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling